Devilish little knife

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Finds have been sporadic for me and limited to some good video games and GW finds.

I did find this little nasty guy at the GW for 1$. I can't find any comps or knives similar I know the brand is fairly common and the craftsmanship is pretty mediocre. Blade is maybe 1.5"

Thought I would throw it out to the resident experts to see what you all thought. I can only imagine what a knife like this is intended for, kidney shot anyone? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424969567.308303.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424969953.039970.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424969968.109993.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424969980.358466.jpg

I believe it's an oyster shucking knife .

I was thinking I've seen something like this, and it was veterinary related, but I can't pin it down. I know nothing about shucking oysters, so I might be all wet.

Yes it is an Oyster knife. I have 2 or 3 in the house and they are used regularly .The big guard is to keep you from slicing your hand open, the blade is dull but an oyster shell can be super sharp. Gloves are a good idea if you ever get the notion to shuck a few.

And here I thought it was some nasty little assassin blade haha

I LOVE oysters. Give me a tub full of fresh live ones on ice, a box of Saltine crackers, a bottle of cocktail sauce, and 6 pack of cold beer and I'm one happy guy. My shucking knife is different than this one. It looks like this:

OysterKnive1.png

An oyster knife doesn't have to be super sharp but the blade has to be very strong to pry open the shell. I like the curved tip on this style knife because it conforms to the curvature of the shell which makes it easier to cut the adductor muscle and scoop the meat out.

When I was younger , I was a busboy in an expensive restaurant . I had to shuck oysters & clams table-side . I've must of shucked hundreds . The head chefs name was Emeril - back when he wasn't famous .

Coming from the eastern shore of Maryland where everything is about oysters and blue crab as soon as I saw that I knew it wad a shucker. Now im in the mood for some.

their very strong blades ..and the white handled one in a pinch could be a nasty tool in the right hands

Coming from the eastern shore of Maryland where everything is about oysters and blue crab as soon as I saw that I knew it wad a shucker. Now im in the mood for some.

Do decent sized blue crabs even exist anymore? They all seem so small now.

Pfft I haven't seen s decent sized crab in years. What they call a jumbo now is what we would barely call a 1 more like a 2. Pathetic pickings and its because of over fishing. They need to ban it or shorten the season for 2 years and let the population regain its breeding strength. Just like over fishing of king salmon in Alaska

Ha...that's what I thought. I'm from south jersey and went crabbing with friends a couple summers back. It was really bad. The ones we were able to keep were barely above the limit. We had to overpay for a bushel of what I also thought were small crabs. It was just an excuse to drink beers in the sun. It was fun but not like it used to be and I'm not that old. Its a shame.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back