DFX Beach program vs. coin program help

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030
I did a little test on my DFX today. I went to the local school grounds which is pretty clean with minimal trash. I usually use the factory coin program which works pretty good. I tried an experiment by placing a silver 1964 quarter in a 4-5'' hole and capped the plug. The coin program barely picked up a good reading. It was jumping from 12-80 vdi. It seemed like it had a hard time recognizing the target. I switched to the beach program and it hit a solid 84 vdi. I also tried a silver dime in the hole with the same results. Does anybody else out there use the beach program in dirt? I think it will be a good preset program to use. By the way, I have a 10" dd coil. I also use the factory deep silver program, but the readings jump all over the place. The beach program seems more stable. Pinpointing is very accurate also. Any feedback will help.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
it sounds like you have high mineralization, the beach program filters better, however the coin program, is designed for coins. if you're looking for silver go to the silver program it targets that and will go deeper.
If you have the book and the dvd's, look at them again, and then, look at them again.
if you look at them time and again you'll pick up more info. then play with your MD in the yard and plant a test garden

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jerry, Check in your DFX manual on page 55. The only significant differences between the Coin program and the Jewelry & Beach program is that with the J & B program the discrim is opened up to cover the jewelry range and that the VCO and Tone ID are turned on. VCO is a great help in pinpointing and Tone ID is a big help in ID'ing the target by the sound it makes. There is no reason you can't use the J & B program on dry land, it works fine.

To get more depth you might also try turning up the Preamp to 3 or 4 and the AC Sensitivity to around 70-72. You will notice a lot more depth.

Let us know how you make out.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This don't make any since to me. If you have the DFX in coin mode you should get the silver coins isn't the pre 64's a cloin. Why would you have to go to the silver mode to find silver coins. ...Matt

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jerry,

The DFX goes deeper when the discrimination is opened up ( less discrim ). The coin program is really a beginner program.

Try using the relic program and upping the pre-amp to 3 ( or 4 if the machine is stable). Test it out. You will find it can still ID well. The one thing you may want to do is turn off mixed mode. You will hear the iron and it will show negative VDI numbers but it is really a good program unless you are in a really trashy area/park. Just dig all the high, positive VDI's that have a strong signagraph signature if you are looking for silver only.

All my custom coin programs start off with the relic mode since the discrimination range is a lot larger and that program goes so much deeper ( even in preset ) than the coins. Also, turn icons off...they are useless.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Sniffer. The preset programs are just that...factory preset. Different sites have different characteristics.

It sounds like your park has high mineral, natural salts. Salts are also accumulated thru heavy fertilization. The C&B program is preset to deal with salt...the coin program isn't and you would have to make adjustments to compensate for it.
That's what the DFX is all about...learning it and making adjustments to compensate for various conditions.

Al

Fireballl

Greenie
Jun 14, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the beach setting for searching in the dirt all the time. I have used the coin setting and haven't found as much as with the beach setting.

Lizard-Prince

Jun 5, 2008
Bayamon P.R.
Detector(s) used
DFX,BH ID,5000s2,AT Max,MX Sport,Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have also heard that your problem might be on your test coin is that a recent dug coin or metal object has not developed properly a halo effect.This is as you may know another factor aside from ground minerals and such,I beleave this can play a role in the rest of the suggestions given here.Hope this helps......

RelicHunterBob

Aug 22, 2008
Brookline, NH
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, DFX
Schrecky said:
Hi Jerry, Check in your DFX manual on page 55. The only significant differences between the Coin program and the Jewelry & Beach program is that with the J & B program the discrim is opened up to cover the jewelry range and that the VCO and Tone ID are turned on. VCO is a great help in pinpointing and Tone ID is a big help in Aiding the target by the sound it makes. There is no reason you can't use the J & B program on dry land, it works fine.

To get more depth you might also try turning up the Preamp to 3 or 4 and the AC Sensitivity to around 70-72. You will notice a lot more depth.

Let us know how you make out.

I have read that the the Preamp doesn't give you more depth. It just amplifies the signal you are getting. Increasing the AC does give more depth. Don't forget to also increase the DC to help with pin pointing.

HH

Bob K

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
preamp will give you an amplified signal of what you didn't hear before.
as people get older, they lose hearing, the preamp will help to a point
however, too much preamp will make your MD start to chatter and give you false readings
factory is set at 2, I have mine set at 3, and it does help

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishstank said:
Can someone send me the deep silver set up? That would be awesome!!!

Fishstank

It's pre loaded from the factory.

habs

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had alittle experience on the Beach Program, I will try it out, i did find out the Relic program picks up jewlery and gold and silver much better then the c&j program.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread