Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it's a big day at your house like at ours! (haha, jokin a little) Not really a big deal for us but they set up an altar and I respect that. Far as I know nobody came back from the dead to visit, which I take to be a good thing. Nobody touches this set-up but I suspect those grandsons siphoned off some of the tequila in the night. Disrespectful rascals. (I would have done the same thing when I was their age.)

Attachments

• 11-1b.jpg
    11-1b.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 87
I live in Mexico. Here, Day of the Dead is like a family/community annual reunion.

I grabbed an envelope of pictures of the P. Family, part of my wife's ancestry. We found a cousin who had a picture of my wife's great-grandfather, and I scanned and copied it. Emilio P., old man from the old P. ranch was going to be there, and I wanted to give him a copy.

I went in the morning. After mid-day mass in the cemetery, I went to the area where the P. family is born, and gave Emilio the copy.

Other family member saw it, and I was busy until 6 pm, showing those pictures to members of the P. family and talking about family history. My genealogical work has made me the most knowledgeable of that family's history.

I got home at 6:30. I just had to stop and chat with the mother of the twin girls. She used to be an exotic dancer, but I think she is a great mom.

My wife was frantic. She had been calling everyone looking for me. She said, "You have always come home at 2 on DOTD."

I told her, "This is the first time I had women to talk to until 6 pm. " Hee, hee.

Aaaayyyy, travieso big foot, tsk tsk. jajaja! Good job on sharing history with that family. dotd reminds me a lot of how decoration day would be for my family. Everyone would go to the cemetary and it would be like a family reunion and an all day picnic at the graveyard. I think it's more of an Indian thing than a church thing, so I can relate to it. We did a little more than I let on. We got together with some other folks and ate, and there were pictures in that altar of mis suegros, Antonia y Chilo, which I moved for the shot. Antonia also told me about the possibility of Pancho Villa buried treasure, but I probably won't ever get to check it out.

Yes, that is the general idea of DOTD in Mexico. I didn't know about Indians, but it sure makes sense. A family reunion, and remember the dead. How totally civilized! Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back