Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got some beach hunting this morning,started off near the life guard shack,seen this cute squirrel munching IMG_2690.JPG So near by I see this hole thinking it's my little friend's home.:icon_scratch:I'm thinking if she might have found any rings & taken it to her hole:laughing7::So I kneel down & I see this sparkling shiny item looking at me ,Oh my gosh it so looks like a diamond ring:hello2:I was like no way..Since the hole was a little dark I wanted to be sure so, IMG_2692.jpg I got my iPhone out & stretch my hand inside to take a picture on magnify mode.I couldn't reach it so I preceded to take my shovel to try & scoop it out, but this small rock fell over blocking it half way.So I use the handle part of my shovel to push it towards me,but that rock was still in the way,so I decided to take another picture just to make sure this is the real thing:laughing7:Once again I reached into the hole & took another picture,as I did that I noticed that sparkle was just a piece of metallic paper:BangHead:I was sadden:sad1:Here comes the best part,it wasn't until I was in the car telling my husband how my day went as we were heading to my apple computer class that I noticed the picture I took,oh my gosh I got scared!!I couldn't believe what I saw:icon_farao:RATTLE SNAKE!! IMG_2693.jpg Told my husband I didn't see it because the hole was a little dark and I was concentrating on taking pictures thinking my shiny sparkling item was a Diamond Ring:laughing7:This is one Outing I will never forget,& don't look into holes:tongue3:

Attachments

• photo-65.JPG
    photo-65.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! didn't momma tell you not to stick your hand into someone else's cookie jar? At least, not without permission from the occupants... If you did proceed and you woke that reptile, I could see tomorrows headlines entitled, "Here's your Sign!" I have encountered a few over the years as well as a coral snake. Also, dropped into a rock walled gorge at a Civil War site in Middle Tenn. and discovered I was in a copperhead snake pit, their abodes being in the rock walls above me. When entering woods in Florida, I always tapped shovel against palmetto roots-they rattlers sense vibration and heat better than sight. They will sound off and eventually pull back away. Also, was warned for many years when night hunting beaches at Ft. Pierce to Sebastian, Fl. to be alert because they come out onto the beach at night to feed upon the washed up offerings from the ocean. As for copperheads, they are more agressive than rattlers and will chase you, especially during Spring. I had a little 8-inch long copperhead come after my wife and I after we were first married. We were visiting my fathers farm in Middle Tn.. It came from along a ditch culvert. We moved back 10-ft and laughed-it was just a baby coppperhead. However, it kept coming after us, until we left the dirt trail back to the house. I stopped by the farm last year --long after they sold it. It was unkept and unoccupied. The new owner warned me to take care because the property is infested with copperheads.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that a scalpel handle in your last picture?

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! didn't momma tell you not to stick your hand into someone else's cookie jar? At least, not without permission from the occupants... If you did proceed and you woke that reptile, I could see tomorrows headlines entitled, "Here's your Sign!" I have encountered a few over the years as well as a coral snake. Also, dropped into a rock walled gorge at a Civil War site in Middle Tenn. and discovered I was in a copperhead snake pit, their abodes being in the rock walls above me. When entering woods in Florida, I always tapped shovel against palmetto roots-they rattlers sense vibration and heat better than sight. They will sound off and eventually pull back away. Also, was warned for many years when night hunting beaches at Ft. Pierce to Sebastian, Fl. to be alert because they come out onto the beach at night to feed upon the washed up offerings from the ocean. As for copperheads, they are more agressive than rattlers and will chase you, especially during Spring. I had a little 8-inch long copperhead come after my wife and I after we were first married. We were visiting my fathers farm in Middle Tn.. It came from along a ditch culvert. We moved back 10-ft and laughed-it was just a baby coppperhead. However, it kept coming after us, until we left the dirt trail back to the house. I stopped by the farm last year --long after they sold it. It was unkept and unoccupied. The new owner warned me to take care because the property is infested with copperheads.
Actually my momma taught me very well,I just thought squirrels like to hide things,looking into the hole sure looked like a sparkling Diamond:hello:,,HH

okie jack

Apr 3, 2012
locust grove oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White dfx and xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It almost looks like they are 2 snakes in there . In the first pic right by the foil and in the second pic right in front of the foil. Just think when you took the first pic your hand was over the top of the snake it looks like because the camera is past the snake. Your lucky the snake did not think you was the squirrel .

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very scary! Do you remeber hearing the rattle? Early morning? Overcast day? When it's cool out them rattlers are sluggish!! May have saved you your hand!!
My inlaws live in Santa Maria/ Santa Ynez area and unfortunately I've had to kill a few that came to close to their home!
I'm glad you are safe and unharmed a good lesson for all, Pay attention be vigil to your surrounding!!

SnT

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aren't you glad you exercised caution in this instance? that could've been bad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread