What's new

Did a Little Road Trip

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
1,984
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday after work I decided to make a run through all of the banks in town before I headed home.

First stop was a BB&T, lady said she only had two half dollars. I asked if I could see them, she showed me a 65 and a 66.
I gladly handed over a dollar for the two halves and said thank you very much... :laughing7:

My next stop the bank didn't have any half's, I had scored there about three weeks ago with two walkers and that was all they had at that time as well. :(

Next Stop was the Good ole B Of A. Lady had 17 half's, let me look through them, no keepers.....Said a gentlemen came in the
day before and bought all they had, $600.00 dollars worth.

Next two stops yielded the same thing. On the third stop, the lady told me they had no halves but had 1 dollar coin. I stopped, turned around and she was holding an Ike. I looked at it and it was a 40%, handed my dollar over to the teller, took the coin and said thank you very much... :laughing7:

Next stop there was two old ladies in the bank, slow as all get out. Lady at the counter said they don't normally sell half's to anybody. Looked me in the eye for a second or two and said, "I am tired of counting them, if you are silly enough to buy them you can have them". So I bought the two rolls, on the way out she asked if I would like to open an account. I told her with an attitude like hers they were lucky they had any customers.... :hello: and walked out the door.

So for the day, I got 3 40% and one was an Ike.

Not to shabby for 1/2 hour.
 
Upvote 0
Man, all those stops in a half hour you must fly like the wind!! Good job and stay after it.
 
Has B of A been reliable for you? My bank (Navy Federal) doesn't ever carry them. Went to my local branch and the woman said about 3 weeks ago someone bought all they had anf they had sit in the vault for 9 months...

Just curious as I'm trying to figure out which banks have the best cances of having halves...
 
Shouldn't have burnet your bridge at the last bank by getting snotty with the lady. she may have provided you with some good stuff in the future.


Here's one of my favorite sayings:

"Don't step on the toes today that may be connected to the butt you may have to kiss tommorow"
Confucius,Plato,Lincoln,Shakespeare?????
 
Karma's gonna bite ya in the butt! :tongue3:
 
FreedomUIC said:
I told her with an attitude like hers they were lucky they had any customers.... :hello: and walked out the door.

Posters are correct that you really want to kiss the tellers bum, but I have to say sir,

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
 
ronbo22 said:
Shouldn't have burnet your bridge at the last bank by getting snotty with the lady. she may have provided you with some good stuff in the future.


Here's one of my favorite sayings:

"Don't step on the toes today that may be connected to the butt you may have to kiss tommorow"
Confucius,Plato,Lincoln,Shakespeare?????

Have you ever heard of a Cherry Picking Little ole lady????? Well there were two of them in there and if times get so bad where
they are the only bank in town, then I guess that I start burying it in my back yard. Sometimes bridges need to be burned.
 
dave5710 said:
Man, all those stops in a half hour you must fly like the wind!! Good job and stay after it.

Small town and 15 banks..... :icon_scratch:
 
ronbo22 said:
Shouldn't have burnet your bridge at the last bank by getting snotty with the lady. she may have provided you with some good stuff in the future.

Here's one of my favorite sayings:

"Don't step on the toes today that may be connected to the butt you may have to kiss tommorow"
Confucius,Plato,Lincoln,Shakespeare?????

Ditto. And always buy all the halves they have (assuming you have the cash on you) do not cherry pick. No sense letting on what CRHers are looking for. Besides, tellers can either be our best allies or wort enemies. I prefer the former.
 
Freedom.....before i get started let me say :thumbsup: on your finds. however there are some things here that disturb me.
First stop was a BB&T, lady said she only had two half dollars. I asked if I could see them
if they weren't silver would you have taken them anyway? cherrypicking coins at the bank is not cool. you are tipping the tellers off that some coins are worth more than others. buy all they have, search them in the car, and dump them somewhere else. most tellers hate them and are glad to get rid of them. they may even hold onto them for you when you come back. then you don't have to worry that you missed any and may get some good finds. now if you chose not to take those 2 halfs because they were clad, 2 things could happen. one...those same coins are still there next time you hunt there. two...the teller gets tired of pulling them out so you can look at them and turn them down again. next time you come in "sorry we have no halfs"
Next Stop was the Good ole B Of A. Lady had 17 half's, let me look through them, no keepers
so you left them there too.....see above
Next stop there was two old ladies in the bank, slow as all get out. Lady at the counter said they don't normally sell half's to anybody. Looked me in the eye for a second or two and said, "I am tired of counting them, if you are silly enough to buy them you can have them". So I bought the two rolls, on the way out she asked if I would like to open an account. I told her with an attitude like hers they were lucky they had any customers.... and walked out the door.
slow seems to be the pace at most banks anymore....regardless....she told you they normally don't sell them but she sold them to you anyway. (sounds like a favor to me since you didn't even have an account there.) then she did her job by asking you if you would like to open an account and you get smart with her. way to burn a bridge. i bet she never sells another CRHer anything.
i'm sorry for lecturing but it is practices like these that will eventually put us out of this hobby or subject us to fees.
all people new to this hobby should read the following posts before CRHing. these rules sound tongue in cheek but are actually very thought out with the preservation of our hobby in mind.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,209655.0.html
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,258887.msg1850623/topicseen.html#msg1850623
btw Freedom i'm sorry if this sounds like i'm singling you out but your post just gave me the opportunity to point out to the newbies that there are guidlines(put together by those who have been doing this for years) as to how this hobby is carried out in such a way as to preserve it. after all the banks make no money off us and don't owe us anything. they don't have to give us coin, nor do they have to accept it. we make money off this hobby (sometimes ;D) and the day we become more of a problem than we are worth then its all over. no more silver at face value.
 
mistergee said:
Freedom.....before i get started let me say :thumbsup: on your finds. however there are some things here that disturb me.
First stop was a BB&T, lady said she only had two half dollars. I asked if I could see them
if they weren't silver would you have taken them anyway? cherrypicking coins at the bank is not cool. you are tipping the tellers off that some coins are worth more than others. buy all they have, search them in the car, and dump them somewhere else. most tellers hate them and are glad to get rid of them. they may even hold onto them for you when you come back. then you don't have to worry that you missed any and may get some good finds. now if you chose not to take those 2 halfs because they were clad, 2 things could happen. one...those same coins are still there next time you hunt there. two...the teller gets tired of pulling them out so you can look at them and turn them down again. next time you come in "sorry we have no halfs"
Next Stop was the Good ole B Of A. Lady had 17 half's, let me look through them, no keepers
so you left them there too.....see above
Next stop there was two old ladies in the bank, slow as all get out. Lady at the counter said they don't normally sell half's to anybody. Looked me in the eye for a second or two and said, "I am tired of counting them, if you are silly enough to buy them you can have them". So I bought the two rolls, on the way out she asked if I would like to open an account. I told her with an attitude like hers they were lucky they had any customers.... and walked out the door.
slow seems to be the pace at most banks anymore....regardless....she told you they normally don't sell them but she sold them to you anyway. (sounds like a favor to me since you didn't even have an account there.) then she did her job by asking you if you would like to open an account and you get smart with her. way to burn a bridge. i bet she never sells another CRHer anything.
i'm sorry for lecturing but it is practices like these that will eventually put us out of this hobby or subject us to fees.
all people new to this hobby should read the following posts before CRHing. these rules sound tongue in cheek but are actually very thought out with the preservation of our hobby in mind.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,209655.0.html
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,258887.msg1850623/topicseen.html#msg1850623
btw Freedom i'm sorry if this sounds like i'm singling you out but your post just gave me the opportunity to point out to the newbies that there are guidlines(put together by those who have been doing this for years) as to how this hobby is carried out in such a way as to preserve it. after all the banks make no money off us and don't owe us anything. they don't have to give us coin, nor do they have to accept it. we make money off this hobby (sometimes ;D) and the day we become more of a problem than we are worth then its all over. no more silver at face value.

You are not singling me out and I can take a critique as well as the next guy. I did indeed buy all her half's, they were skunks. You had to have been there to understand. Enough said.

As far as show me, there was nobody in the bank and the teller was 21 years old if that. The kid had no idea what I was doing especially after I told him that I needed them for my collection......

So if I have violated some unwritten rule, then whack my hand with a ruler and put me in the corner..... :tongue3:
 
sorry but i'm not understanding your reply.
I did indeed buy all her half's, they were skunks. You had to have been there to understand. Enough said.
whats not to understand? this is what you said.....
Next Stop was the Good ole B Of A. Lady had 17 half's, let me look through them, no keepers
by stating that "she let you look through them" implies that you did not take them but "looked" thru them.
As far as show me, there was nobody in the bank and the teller was 21 years old if that. The kid had no idea what I was doing especially after I told him that I needed them for my collection......
i'm really lost on this one :icon_scratch:....show me what? i never said anything about showing me anything. and where did the 21 year old guy come from? there is no mention of him in your post.
 
Any silver better than no silver :thumbsup:
HH..Miner
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom