What's new

Did i do ok?

Marino13

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2020
Messages
445
Reaction score
958
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another estate sale find, sterling and turquoise concho belt by Navajo Kirk Smith. I got it for 1400, but doing research these are going for crazy prices. Did I do ok?
 

Attachments

  • 20250611_163146.webp
    20250611_163146.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 173
  • 20250611_163136.webp
    20250611_163136.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 125
  • 20250611_163111.webp
    20250611_163111.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
Upvote 15
Also, I'm guessing I shouldn't try to polish the silver as I'm afraid it could hurt value. Any advice?
 
I'd say you did fine as its a beautiful belt with very nice turquoise. I'm not sure about polishing it up. I use to hit all the trading posts along I40 in NM and AZ when I had that territory. What they considered as Old-Pawn was never polished up. I'm not sure, but I believe its how collectors maybe prefer the old silver. Personally I like the old stuff with most of the aged oxidation intact and maybe rubbed a bit in the higher relief areas to expose the finer details.
 
I'd say you did fine as its a beautiful belt with very nice turquoise. I'm not sure about polishing it up. I use to hit all the trading posts along I40 in NM and AZ when I had that territory. What they considered as Old-Pawn was never polished up. I'm not sure, but I believe its how collectors maybe prefer the old silver. Personally I like the old stuff with most of the aged oxidation intact and maybe rubbed a bit in the higher relief areas to expose the finer details.
Thanks Tam, that's what I kind of thought too.
 
Another estate sale find, sterling and turquoise concho belt by Navajo Kirk Smith. I got it for 1400, but doing research these are going for crazy prices. Did I do ok?
On the long sell you can 8X
Flips 5-6X
You certainly did great.
More details weight, length, maker's mark.

 
Also, I'm guessing I shouldn't try to polish the silver as I'm afraid it could hurt value. Any advice?
DON'T POLISH IT!!
Kirk Smith didn't like highly polished silver, he wanted his work to look old, I think it would greatly and negatively affect the value!

Most of his concho belts sell for 2 to 3 times than what you paid and a few for much much more.

He unfortunately lost his life in 2012, his work is highly sought after, here's a blog that tells his story and how he came to make silver items, his son Raymondo Joe is also a silversmith and carries on in his father's footsteps.

 
Last edited:
DON'T POLISH IT!!
Kirk Smith didn't like highly polished silver, he wanted his work to look old, I think it would greatly and negatively affect the value!

Most of his concho belts sell for 2 to 3 times than what you paid and a few for much much more.

He unfortunately lost his life in 2012, his work is highly sought after, here's a blog that tells his story and how he came to make silver items, his son Raymondo Joe is also a silversmith and carries on in his father's footsteps.

Thank you, I did do some research before I paid that, and figured I'd be OK. At one point it was at 400 bucks an hour before the end of the online auction.
 
now and then the auction gods come through. I have cherry picked now and then myself.
 
عثرتُ على حزام كونشو من الفضة الإسترلينية والفيروز من نافاجو كيرك سميث في مزادٍ آخر. اشتريتُه بـ ١٤٠٠ دولار، لكن بعد بحثٍ وجدتُ أسعارًا خيالية. هل كان سعره مناسبًا؟
I'm from Yemen, anybody need help in my country, just contact with me
 
Another estate sale find, sterling and turquoise concho belt by Navajo Kirk Smith. I got it for 1400, but doing research these are going for crazy prices. Did I do ok?
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 
You did OUTSTANDING !!!!
 
Another estate sale find, sterling and turquoise concho belt by Navajo Kirk Smith. I got it for 1400, but doing research these are going for crazy prices. Did I do ok?
Well I am not certain of it's value now but it will increase in price as time goes on How much and how quickly will that increase occurs decide if you got a real steal or a long term investment Both are still worth while Thanks for posting ihis I i could see getting a similar item as an investment plus the coolness of owning a unique piece of one of a kind craftsman ship I CERTAINLY LIKE IT
 
Another estate sale find, sterling and turquoise concho belt by Navajo Kirk Smith. I got it for 1400, but doing research these are going for crazy prices. Did I do ok?
Yes, DO Not clean it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom