What's new

Did I find a 1700s silver button with cut glass stones?

crabstang44

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2016
Messages
885
Reaction score
5,002
Golden Thread
2
Location
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went on a 30 minute hunt this morning in a field that dates to the early 1700s. And got this. Looks like it had place for a shank on the back, it's defanantly silver. What you think??
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0520.webp
    IMG_0520.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0519.webp
    IMG_0519.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0516.webp
    IMG_0516.webp
    41.6 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 22
Looks like it was a stick pin at one time. Also looks silver. Hard to date. Congrats on a cool find. -Lisa & John
 
I have dug Colonial cufflinks with silver bezels and cut class stones, but all the ones I have seen have been one stone only, not a cluster of four or five like yours. Still I suspect that your piece is Colonial and it is a cufflink.
 
Sweet find, whatever it is-it certainly looks to be from the 18th century.
 
Wow!
Thats an awesome piece!
Ive been looking for a find like that for over two decades
 
I don't think its the 1690-1720s type that your thinking of. I can't decide whether it was a link-button/cufflink or something completely different, but it does look circa 1800.:dontknow:
 
I have dug Colonial cufflinks with silver bezels and cut class stones, but all the ones I have seen have been one stone only, not a cluster of four or five like yours. Still I suspect that your piece is Colonial and it is a cufflink.

can i see some pics of the ones you have dug?
 
thank you crusader, what would be your best guess? everything i have found in this field is early to late 1700s
It's stumped me, it could be what others have said but the construction looks a little different for an early cuff link. The only clues you have other than the materials used which have been used until modern day is the hand made look (crude). The entire base is flatten & a solder scar on it indicates its fixing point to another piece. I suspect the other piece was not a loop, but another larger flatter object like a Brooch.
 
Last edited:
It's stumped me, it could be what others have said but the construction looks a little different for an early cuff link. The only clues you have other than the materials used which have been used until modern day is the hand made look (crude). The entire base is flatten & a solder scar on it indicates its fixing point to another piece. I suspect the other piece was not a loop, but another larger flatter object like a Brooch.

thank you sir for your knowledge
 
Looks like it was a stick pin at one time. Also looks silver. Hard to date. Congrats on a cool find. -Lisa & John

Agree. Late Victorian/Edwardian stick pin.

a16447879004f698568fa2bc5073e357.webp
 
Great display case item. I love stuff like that the history and story that goes with it,leave to the imagination...Thanks for sharing your cool find!!!!!!
 
I think it's a very neat find. Whatever it is. I agree with Cru because it looks to me more like a pc. of a brooch, the large solder area on the back makes me doubt just about anything else, and if that's so then it's probably 1800's, perhaps early. Still, very nice. HH!
 
thanks everyone, since i may never know for sure, it will be what i most want it to be, my original title
 
thanks everyone, since i may never know for sure, it will be what i most want it to be, my original title

Things like this often get ID years later when researching other items, so there is hope.
 
Very interesting find, congratulations!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom