Did i make the right decision.

T

TREETOPPER

Ok here goes,
I bought the X-70 a few weeks back and thinking now about all the diffrent searchcoils that i will need . This was my first mistake when purchasing this detector. this metal detector is my first ever ,and thought i would buy something new that just came out on the market that wouldn't be obsolete in a year.
I'm thinking twice about my dual purpose detector investment its beginning to look like a money pit,but other than that its a great detector for a beginner.
Now i think to myself did i really need all those bells and whistles and the extra $ its going to cost me for the specialized search coils. There are other dual purpose machines out their without the target ID and notch that perform just as well and are as sensitive for hundreds less like the ST lobo no notch and no target ID without the expense of the money pit coils.
Both machines shine when it comes to detecting coins and finding small pieces of gold deep.
So why did i spend the extra money for something i didn't need because i didn't research it enough. Side by side the two machines perform the same in my opinion its just the one without the TID , notch and extra sounds cost 200 less guess who gets my vote.

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Chucks we usually get. "I bought my detector and my Ace 250 is God's gift to the world"

The Tesoro ST lobo is a great machine. One of the better dual purpose machines out there and I
imagine if you really wanted to save money you would have not bought the X-70 but a used Tesoro ST.

Did you make a bad decision. Yes if your baby needed a new pair of shoes and you bought the X-70 instead of
the Tesoro. Any time you buy a Minelab you are going to get soaked in cost. After all the many coils for the X-70 = more profits.
However, Minelab charges what the market will bear and as they produced top notch machines people buy them.

Did you make a bad decision in my book? Of course not. If they both had the exact same depth(which no one knows as
they haven't been tested side by side) I would pick the X-70 in a heartbeat. Besides the VDI or that the X-70 uses 4
not 8 batteries like the Tesoro, the lighter weight of the X-70 would be my selling point. You may not think that the weight
of the X-70 at 2.9 lbs is not going to be much different than the Tesoro at 3.5 lbs but after a full day in the field you will appreciate
the lighter weight. I remember the complaints I had about the Explorer's weight and that weighted slightly more at 3.7lbs. So for me
I will not consider something that heavy.

I guess all folks look at detectors differently with regard to the features they want and expect. Some folks demand VDI and as
many tones as possible. Some are looking for a light weight detector, cost, etc.

Usually a lot of people get disappointed in brand new machines as they expect a lot more. Their "wonder detector" which is "the one" is just another detector. It is no surprise that the time to buy a new detector is shortly after it is introduced. You will quickly see a lot of them on the classifieds.

HH
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread