What's new

Did I waste my Money??

engine 823

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
312
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
Well I went looking banks yesterday and thought I would stop at a pawn shop. I asked if anyone had brought in old money and he pulled out a dirt sack of wheat cents. I asked how much he wanted and he said $5.00. Well I bought it on the hopes It would be worth it later. It had 176 wheat ears and a hand full of canadian cents that I gave to my son.
Here is what it held:

1917 x 1, 1920 x 2, 1926 x 1, 1927 x 1, 1934 x 2, 1935 x 2, 1936 x 1, 1938 x 2, 1940 x 2, 1940D x 1, 1941 x 7, 1941D x 1, 1942 x 6, 1943 steel x 5, 1943S x 1, 1943D x 2, 1944 x 16, 1944D x 2, 1944S x 2, 1945 x 2, 1946 x 7, 1946D x 3, 1947D x 1, 1948 x 2, 1949 x 1, 1949D x 1, 1950 x 3, 1950D x 6, 1950S x 1, 1951 x , 1951D x 8, 1951S x 1, 1952 x 3, 1952D x 11, 1953 x 1, 1953D x 8, 1954 x 1, 1954D x 5, 1955 x 3, 1955D x 5, 1956 x 5, 1956D x 15, 1957D x 8, 1958 x 3, 1958D x 12, Also Two Unreadable dates (191?) (194?)

What you all think?? $5.00 to much??
I also bought an American Eagle Silver Dollar 1 OZ Silver for $21.50. I think I did alright with that since it is below melt.

Talk soon
 
Upvote 0
The wheaties were a good deal. Anything less than 3 cents each is good. Not a huge bargain, but you certainly didn't overpay either. I would have bought them at that price just to look for key/semi-key dates.

Now the ASE for $21.50 is a real bargain! If he has more, I would buy all he has at this price...quickly.

In my opinion, you have a pawn shop that you need to check on at least a semi-regular basis. Apparently, the owner is not quite up-to-date on coins, or at least doesn't keep up with the daily spot price of silver, and there might be more bargains just waiting to be snatched up.
 
I'v seen many people buy rolls of wheats for 5 bucks each at my local flea market. Seems worth it! :)
 
Thanks guys!!! I felt good about the American Eagle Dollar but I was afraid I over paid for the wheats. I looked at the price in the coin guide though and most were around .25 - .30 cents in good condition. I will for sure keep an eye out at that place.
 
I would buy all the wheat pennies I could at 3 cents or less each and hope to find better date/condition ones to pick out. From what I have seen dealers seem to offer about 3 cents each when buying them so worst case it's a break even scenario.
 
Go buy all the ASE's you can at that price. Hard to find 1oz of .999 AG cheaper than that. Better yet, buy me some.
 
Hey Guys!!! Part 2 of did I spend too much?? I found another pawn shop that had coins under melt values as of today. I bought a (1943 D Nickel for .50 cents), (1961 D Dime for $1.00), ( 1961 D Quarter for $3.00), (1963 D Half Dollar for $5.00 )
Total .67 Troy Ounce For $9.50
$8.40 under current melt Value
 
engine 823 said:
Hey Guys!!! Part 2 of did I spend too much?? I found another pawn shop that had coins under melt values as of today. I bought a (1943 D Nickel for .50 cents), (1961 D Dime for $1.00), ( 1961 D Quarter for $3.00), (1963 D Half Dollar for $5.00 )
Total .67 Troy Ounce For $9.50
$8.40 under current melt Value
Good deal! None of the pawn shops in my area carry coins, one did at one point, but would not sell, go figure.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom