Did Ships ever use Lead Sheating - anyone know?

• Thread starter Grenadaresearch
  • Start date

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Grenada:
The Greeks used lead sheathing to protect their ships as early as the third century B.C. The vessels of Archimedes of Syracuse had lead sheaths fixed with iron bolts. During the time of Edward VI (1537-1553) a description of an exploratory vessel states:
"they had heard that in certain parts of the Ocean, a kinde of wormes is bredde, which many times pierceth and eateth through the strongest oake that is ... [so] ... they cover a piece of the keel of the shippe with thinne sheets of leade" .
All the Best,
Don.......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Grenada:
Adding to my previous:
The Spanish sheathed ships in lead beginning around 1508 until 1567. In 1605 lead sheathing was resumed on Spanish ships going to only Mexico. The only other Nation to use lead sheathing was England. In 1766 several English warships used copper sheathing and by 1780 all English ships were sheathed with copper. The first French ships using copper sheathing was in 1775, but this practice did not catch on with the Spaniards and Portuguese until the frist decade of the 19th century. (This report is credited to Bob Marx).
Don......

OP
OP
G

Grenadaresearch

Thank you, the three guns are about 5 feet long each but have very stumpy appearance the trungions are a third way down from the barrel and the barrel is exceptionally large. I will make a note to look for markings or stamps on the head of each cannon. The info on the lead is very useful, thank you.
James

A

astrolabe

If you are looking to identify wrecks and their artifacts, you may want to contact Tim Swieckowski and his partner Bert Kilbride. There web site is www.DreamQuest.CC ..

Regards,
Mike

OP
OP
G

Grenadaresearch

Hi Mike - Bert a great guy , Tim included have heard both good and bad reports with DreamQuest last year tim wanted money upfront for research had the same with a Pawel Nowak. Research is free and easily accesible , this forum is more for chatting. Ive twp kids and a wife that stop this going further but love the Virgins and Dominic`as.
Thank you kindly for advice but Chris above answered the question I needed.....leaded sheet but lead turns white so this is grey and shines must be silver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
James

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead sheeting found on the east coast of central Florida - late 1700's to early 1800's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread