What's new

Did some shopping today

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
Picked up a gold one ounce Engelhard prospector round and 5 "generic" silver one ounce rounds for $1000.

One of the silver rounds is one of those horrible painted silver eagles (I guess it is not generic, but was in the generic box at the store). Anyone know how to get the paint off without ruining the round?

Jim
 
Upvote 0
How about paint thinner or nail polish remover,should not ruin the coin.
Did a bit of shopping myself after selling off some junk coins. Picked up a 1908 Hungarian 100 Korona. What a beauty !
 
Rich Hartford said:
How about paint thinner or nail polish remover,should not ruin the coin.
Did a bit of shopping myself after selling off some junk coins. Picked up a 1908 Hungarian 100 Korona. What a beauty !


Thanks RH,

I did some googling and found out that it is actually a sticker and not painted. I soaked it in rubbing alcohol for a while and it scraped off easily.

I have one of those Koronas. They are all restrikes (when I bought it I thought it was really from 1908). The artwork and design is so cool. I think the reverse on that coin is one of my favorites of all gold bullion. They are alot better looking than the Austrian Coronas, which are the same weight and size, in my opinion. Good score there.

Jim
 
Jim,

I thought it was an original as well and did not learn till later that it was a restrike. Restrike or not I like it. Want to get the Austrian version next. Of course the American Eagle is great looking too but I could use the premium to get a 2/12 peso.
 
Rich,

I like American Eagles too. Premiums are too high anymore though.

Ever consider a gold 50 Peso. All dated 1947 are restrikes, and these are what you so most often. Nice heavy coin. 1.2 ounces of pure gold, and you can usually get them for about $25-30 premium.

Jim
 
I check those big pesos out everyday on apmex. Saving up for one of those as well
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom