Did something I havent for quite a while.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did something I haven't for quite a while.

Quit hunting today because of the heat!!! LOL

It was LOVELY! I was very happy AND very, very hot & tired!

Was just as well, wasn't finding much anyway.

VIVA La Spring!!

IMGA3264.JPG

Only thing I can read is "PLATED"

IMGA3265.JPG
IMGA3266.JPG

Also found this but I don't think I'll have any today. ;)
IMGA3267.JPG

HH!

Upvote 2
Just head on up to Minnesota if you want to cool off - 12 plus inches of snow tonight and tomorrow.

Just head on up to Minnesota if you want to cool off - 12 plus inches of snow tonight and tomorrow.
Why thank you!!! Aren'tcha kind! But, since I just got out from under, I must say, thanks, but, no thanks. ;)

HH!

May not have found much, but what you did find, is pretty cool!

HH & Great digs ahead

May not have found much, but what you did find, is pretty cool!

HH & Great digs ahead

You really think so? I'm not very familiar with buttons. This one seems old but I didn't think it was anything special.
Just a plated brass button. :dontknow:

Thanks!
HH!

Yeah dude, I really think so! I love old buttons. Here is my take on it; you can find an old coin, and that's great! They are very cool. You can think of the story about who and how someone dropped it, but in the end, it doesn't matter...it's money! A button was attached to someone's clothing or uniform. Someone specific, who, depending on what they did for a living, and if a button which depicts that same career, can almost surely be attributed to that person. I'm not sure how deep you dive into the history of the area where the button was found, but I do that with every site I hit. For instance, I found a rare, local military button and buckle in a baseball field...button and buckle date 1787-1866. Researched the hell out of that site and found there was a small camp there, owned by one guy and his family, and he was a member of that militia in 1798. It was his! It's the history, my friend, not always the wow factor of the physical find. Again sweet button!

Yeah dude, I really think so! I love old buttons. Here is my take on it; you can find an old coin, and that's great! They are very cool. You can think of the story about who and how someone dropped it, but in the end, it doesn't matter...it's money! A button was attached to someone's clothing or uniform. Someone specific, who, depending on what they did for a living, and if a button which depicts that same career, can almost surely be attributed to that person. I'm not sure how deep you dive into the history of the area where the button was found,

Oh my, yeah, I do understand that and I'm not belittling the buttons, personal items at all. I feel the same way. Money is money. But, to each their own and some would rather find gold rings, etc. While I'm not opposed to those either, ;) , I would prefer to find a good old silver/bronze/gold coin. Buttons, spoons, suspender clasps, buckles and other personal items fascinate me, but, I'm a coinshooter at heart. Not for the value, I never sell, and, I ALWAYS clean them. LOL

Still, I am VERY interested in the history of a place. I've traced this place back through 3 generations, back to the late 1700's. The trouble with personal items, like this button, is that there's no easy way to pin down who it's from or when. If I get a button that is known. Like a military button that's from say the 7th cavalry, well, I'd have a starting point to view it's history. I can imagine it belonged to Custer. ;)

I can tell you where this particular button was found in regard to the pages of history, at least the ground it was found on. But, I can't tell anything about it, maker, period (except within a hundred years), whether it belonged to a particular historical figure, or was it just dumped there with the fill dirt that was brought in to make a garden. What can you tell me about a brass button that says "Plated"?

I enjoy finding ANYTHING I find. Too many times without. But, as for me, a good conditioned rare coin is what I enjoy most. But that's just me.

Thanks for the wonderful response and happy hunting out there!

HH!

I totally understand. Personally, I'm a coin shooter too, but I also enjoy finding the relics when they come up. In fact, I'm heading to a spot that produces both coins and military buttons as soon as I click "post message" on this. Trust me, I LOVE old coins! I do a happy dance every time I dig one! I think I'm just a huge history buff, always have been since I was a kid, so maybe that's why buttons hold a special place for me. I'll see if I can find some info on your button when I get home :). Great job on nailing the history of the area, by the way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back