Did You Know ? Wal-Mart , F.M.D.A.C. program for Detecting Clubs......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this still happening ?

The FMDAC Wal-Mart Program is a way for local metal detecting clubs to gain display space in a high foot traffic area. The program is designed for metal detecting clubs to setup a display at Wal-Mart, tell about their club, educate the public about metal detecting and inform the community about their club.

http://www.fmdac.org/news/wal-mart_program/Walmart Program-cc.doc

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not completly sure the Program
is still in effect.

At least it isn't Everywhere.

Personally Being they sell Bounty Hunters
at their Counters Without Any Discription
of How to Use them Properly,
I think It could be good.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
The motive behind all that is selling Bounty Hunter Metal detectors. Can't fault Wally for that, but what caught my attention was that for those that bought the higher priced detector, there would be free instructions. Some un instructed dudes with a not so pricey detector can be a really big nuisance and cause much animosity toward the rest of us "instructed" ones. That tells me they don't really give a rip about promoting anything but sales. Always remember the saying,,,, "Buyer Beware!!!"

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
You can learn a lot on you tube before you purchase a detector. There are people that are more than willing to show you what a detector does and many of them tell you the proper conduct when detecting. I went to the library and located a few books to help with the hobby.
You know the old saying too the more it cost the more they will want it. Many prople bought their first detector at wally world or radio shack and later learned of the garrets minelabs and whites....the list goes on and so does the prices.
Very true knew a man trying to sell a car could not I told him raise the price you will sell it if it is too cheap they wonder what is wrong with it. He did and sold the car.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So tell me.

How would Sam Walton's relatives feel if I went to my local Wal-mart with my arsenal of Minelab, Tesoro, Sun- Ray and Detectorpro detectors and accessoeies when they sell the Bounty hunter line?

And just for kicks the relics that have been dug with them?

Can't hurt to try

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think old Sam would care - why would he.

What's the deal, though with no paperwork with Bounty Hunter? Are you saying Wal~Mart is taking out the paperwork? I don't think so.

If they are not, that means Bounty Hunter is not including it? I don't understand.

B

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
I don't think old Sam would care - why would he.

What's the deal, though with no paperwork with Bounty Hunter? Are you saying Wal~Mart is taking out the paperwork? I don't think so.

If they are not, that means Bounty Hunter is not including it? I don't understand.

B

I'm talking about teaching Proper digging and getting
permission and just simple support.

Plus saying "Hey, We are a Local Club,
Feel free to sign up, or stop By"

I Don't think this type of Paperwork
or service is inside any detector box.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, well, I think it would be nice for a md club to "spread the wealth of knowledge" to unsuspecting Wal~Mart customers!!

B

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Ok, well, I think it would be nice for a md club to "spread the wealth of knowledge" to unsuspecting Wal~Mart customers!!

B

May even Get a Customer or 3
to Ask to Find their lost Items :wink:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Wonder if it would
help with Wal-Mart Construction Sites too ;D

Maybe Old "Wally" Detects :tongue3:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I met Sam Walton, once a long time ago in Illinois. he would be happier driving around in his Chevy truck
with his faithful dog by his side

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aren't there a lot of folks who started with Bounty Hunters?

Usually, the starting detector eventually leads to buying a better detector later on. I know I didn't start out with an expensive thousand dollar detector.

I guess, for me - its an inexpensive way for someone to start out and gain an "infection" for metal detecting. I think the majority of us metal detectorists here have more than one detector - from inexpensive ones to "boy I can't believe I spent this much money on this" detectors. (It's the
one we lend out eventually to someone who is coming along on a trip).

Plus, would you want to spend great amounts of money on a detector for a younger child - for 2 reasons - taking some care of it, and/or what if they don't like it?

There is a place for most detectors. Like fishing poles and rifles - and most sports equipment, they fill a niche between nothing at all, to the top of the line - we have a couple of extra fishing poles and reels for others to use, just like we have a few "beater" rifles - for an unexpected hunting partner - they are not top of the line outfits, but they are capable of getting a friend in the game.

B

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do agree with you about how, even on TV, they sensationalize the findings.

"See, I found this 200 year old bell".

One thing is good for a laugh, though. The ads and mags, show this 32 pound nugget that they found with their detector - heck, a 32 pound nugget could be detected by the very cheapest detector - when they find little nuggets at 3 feet on a consistent basis - THEN I get impressed!
The ads also never talk about the detectors bible - like, don't leave holes, pick up trash even if its not yours, etc. They don't give a complete picture.

B

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I know I started with a bounty hunter, and no real instruction on what to do. Took me a few weeks to figure out how to dig a nice clean hole and such, and so far as I can remember the Bounty Hunter company didn't provide any info on how to do it either.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Washingtonian,

That answered my question - I never had a Bounty Hunter, so I didn't know if it ever came with specific instructions or not.

Did the place you bought it at give you instructions?

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread