Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the ground is frozen and metal detecting is not an option for me, I use this time to go through the coins accumulated during the year to see if there are any keepers. I immediately classified the silvers and older coins from detection finds, pocket change and the 3 small collections I purchased this past year. So, these are mostly Lincoln cents I'm sorting. While sifting through the 1960s to separate large and small dates, I came across these three 1960 D large dates.

1960 d lg rev die chips.jpg

What are the odds that all 3 would show up in one collection 58 years later showing the same die chip in the "s" of "pluribus" out of the 156 of this variety that I acquired just this year?
Is there much value in this type of series that would be similar to consecutive serial numbers on currency?

Thanks for lookin' and commentin'................

A trifecta for sure, how ironic. Are they worth anything over the copper value. I guess I'll have to check my hoard.

You gotta love stuff like that! I don't think there would be any value in it though. Small die chips are common and the fact that you have three would probably be an indication that it is a common variety.

top coin has a small IDB/chip at left base above the "O"-- filled devices are common, just need a buyer now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back