What's new

Differences between these metal detectors

Shaen9319

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2016
Messages
37
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I been trying to find the "perfect" metal detector for myself and found out the Minelab 3030 can pretty much fit all needs, it can even go underwater, and do every terrain. Well I came across what was just as good is the XP Deus.... what's the difference? I am thinking the Minelab still beats any metal detector out there under $3,000. I looked up every Metal Detector up to $3000 and none came close to what the 3030 can do.
 
I also heard the CTX is way over-priced and the noises it makes is just frustrating enough to want to get a new metal detector...
 
I would not say that any one metel detector can fit all needs. As to price....some people pay 5 bucks for a cup of coffee while others think a quarter is too much.
 
For those that can afford it, the CTX 3030 is THE machine. The only thing it is NOT good at is gold nugget and meteorite hunting. It is more machine than many can properly handle, and takes better than 200-hours on the headphones to master. :occasion14:
 
One big difference between the machines is weight. The Deus is lighter by a couple of pounds, which makes a big difference for some people. I would read their manuals, you can should be able them online for each, then go visit a dealer that carries both. Buying a machine at that price range is worthy of a road trip, if necessary, so you can hold them, hear them and see how they work before purchasing.
 
Last edited:
Yeah there is no way I could test out the types of MD I am searching for. There all Amazon MDs is what I am getting. I live in Oregon... not a single person on CL is selling top dollar Metal Detectors, and plus id never trust a CL metal detector lol anything spent over $1,000 better be brand new.
 
If you have the budget I believe the CTX is what you'd want for all the types of detecting you're interested in. Most of my die-hard MD buddies swing either a CTX, W-Trac, or XP Deus.
 
You are right in your findings. The ctx is really the only one that can most everything and do it very well.
 
I also heard the CTX is way over-priced and the noises it makes is just frustrating enough to want to get a new metal detector...


LOL, It is up to the user what "noises" it makes, you can set it anywhere from 2 tone to 50 tone, entirely your choice....3030 is fantastic detector!
 
The sounds are just what led me to Minelabs. When I re-entered the hobby I was on 3 or 4 of these forums reading hundreds of posts related to all detector manufacturers. I first picked up an ETrac, and oh yes the sounds. Gave me a few fits here and there, and yes they were frustrating. Then as I dropped off the other forums and made TNet my home I grew more and more interested in water hunting. Stumbled into a deal on my used CTX, and essentially traded the ETrac for an Excal II (fate worked, sold the ETrac and turned immediately around and picked up the Excal ( on the Treasure Related Stuff For Sale forum here).

I'm putting my hours in now. I'm running both the CTX and Excal without discrimination and digging one heck of a lot of trash - yesterday my finds pouch was flat full of it... I've never changed from the stock screen on the CTX, but dig only by the sounds. If I can get a reasonable signal, I'm digging. I am paying more attention to the FE-CO numbers now, and they really are pretty accurate. But I'm still going to dig or scoop any signal I can't walk away from.

I can't post my finds from yesterday - I've a new PC, lost the Master Boot Record on my old hard drive - I have it connected to an external docking station and trying some free software trying to recover the files right now - it's been going for 18 hours and it's only about halfway through - if it works at all (it says it is, but I'm waiting for the clincher = "Oh we have your files now, and if you want them send us $50...."

But, I'd lost all my treasure hunting files, and of course imaging software etc....

Yesterday's highlights were a silver ring and a very ornate necklace - intact and appears antique, I think the chain is brass. That necklace is one target I would not have dug based on the FE-CO numbers, was a scratchy signal, but there was something about the sound - I couldn't believe what came out of the ground.

Someday I'll get better with pictures too!

IMG_1173.webp
 
Last edited:
Yeah there is no way I could test out the types of MD I am searching for. There all Amazon MDs is what I am getting. I live in Oregon... not a single person on CL is selling top dollar Metal Detectors, and plus id never trust a CL metal detector lol anything spent over $1,000 better be brand new.

I wasn't suggesting Craig's list, I was suggesting you visit an actual Metal detector dealer's shop. I know there are at least a couple in Oregon.
 
Oh, yeah I been to a couple here. We have the Whites Metal Detector (where Whites is from, here in Oregon) and another one I forgot the name. Anyways though I am going with the DEUS so thanks for your opinions and everyone elses.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom