Dig in the well?(update)

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The site i am searching has an old well foundation. The house that was there was pre 1841 as it was the original location of the current house built in 1841.

I have been searching in for awhile now looking for more relics and coins(no coins yet). Cache hunting has always been my goal as I love the history involved in this "hobby" and the research and reward involved in cache hunting will only satisfy that love.

Any way, would it be a good idea to dig as far down as possible in the old well. Or is this a very uncommon place for caches. There is no tales of possible caches on this property, just the pre 1840's date of the home that once stood there. There is also one of those large trees which I have searched regularly but my detector is insufficient if it is deep.

Update: my update poses a new question. I decided to dig down a little today to see if there were any bottles etc. further down, I hit water at about 4' down, the rubble is still there(bricks etc. used to fill it in)? Would it be unwise to go further. Obvious percautions are being taken.

Re: Dig in the well?

I cant say I,ve ever heard of a cache stashed in the bottom of a well.But I,d dig it out anyway you never know..

Thats what I'm wondering. i have no competition for this spot, if it was a common location for them i would dig it now but if it is a just in case I'll focus my attentions elsewhere and dig it at a less productive MDing time of year. My only thought was a cache buried in the old well after the new house was built, might have been a nice spot for them to do it.

Once, I heard a locale tale of an old timer whose relatives were always asking where his money was...His response was that he threw it in the well. They shrugged it off for many years. A while after his passing a few of the were sippin' on some good ol' whiskey and after a good many decided to lower a feller down the well. To their surprise were many floating plastic baggies of currency that they brought back to the surface and split.

I'm may have read that story here or heard it at a local pub. After several pints and many months my memory fades quickly.

I've also heard of wells caving in on people. Just be careful.

is this a well or an old cistern, either way, if it's an above ground entrance, your best bet would be around it.
as some of the old farmsteads were closed down, typically whoever bought them would fill in the old wells and cisterns with whatever was lying around. rolls of wire, bricks, chunks of concrete, old parts from implements.
I've seen oodles of the things, and I have yet to see one that actually still had water in it.
If you do decide to check one out, make sure the side walls are stable, attach a long, strong rope to a big tree, a first aid kit for scratches and or animal bites and a buddy, just in case.
there have been others that have TH'ed in caves and wells and came back out " toes up "
so be careful

Sniffer

the well is below grade. And is indeed filled in with bricks,slate, etc. I found it by the sunken circle ground and dug down to find the in tact round foundation. It was about 1 1/2' below grade. I have dug down about 3' so far and have nothing but a large pile of brick and slate(and dirt). As mentioned in my last reply I do intend to dig as far as I can, I was just curious if it was worth taking the task up right away as it could be a good location, or use my time elswhere and if I get around to it dig it out. I was thinking if they filled it in it might have some bottles in there(not my thing yet) I do have interest in bottle hunting at some point.

if it's below the surrounding grade, chances are pretty good it was under the house. usually under the kitchen to catch the rain water, then they had a pump that went into it to get the water into the kitchen.
you probably won't find anything of any consequence, but you never know

Sniffer you may have just solved an epic mystery I have been fighting to uncover for more than a year. Since the home is no longer there, and it is in one of the areas that don't have old maps on any of the map archive sites, let alone other important info. I have not been able to pin point the location of the original house, only had the well to go by. If what you say is true then I would in fact have the location and be able to dig and detect accordingly.

Thank you. Hope this is the case.

I hope the info helps. we had a lot of houses back in MN built that way.
My Grandma's house was built that way and it still has the pump for the cistern in the kitchen.
my Grandma uses the water to water her plants

A few years ago, somebody in Arkansas was digging out an old well and found a cache of weapons from the Civil War. So, you never know what you're going to find! Be careful, though, and good luck in your hunt!

I have researched many stories of things (treasures) thrown down into wells. When I was living in North Carolina, I came across at least 6 documented stories, this was for one small town. So if this was done at one town think about all the others. During the civil war as the approaching army was heading into the town. Home owners were throwing their valuables down the wells, burying them in their yards, burying them in the barns, throwing them into the out house pit! Did I go dig these wells, no due to permission not being granted or in most cases the wells were covered by new construction buildings and roadways. And one instance of a new jail being built over the top of one well that I missed the opportunity by several weeks, and there was a listing in the news article of the items thrown down this well.

Besides the obvious safety factor, if you hit water at 4 ft. down, that is going to be a very difficult dig. I t may be redisidual water and if it is not, you are going to play hell in trying to pump it out. Whatever you decide to do, be safe and never go at it alone...and of course, update us!

is the water fresh smelling or kind of moldy smelling.
if it's moldy you could probably pump it, but if it's fresh, you may never be able to get it empty, plus there will be a serious risk of cave in

if your looking for a cache at an old farmhouse
and by the date you have there is a very good chance of
one being there somewhere if not found already

try to figure out where places like kitchen window was etc

most folks liked to be able to see where it was stashed and tell
immediately if someone got it.

The kitchen was always a place of someone being cooking and baking

I don't think you'll find a cache in a well but it is not impossible
as like others even said there is a legend here where I am of the
rebels tossing gold into a deep well to keep it out of union hands.
To this day attempts have been made they have not been
able to retrieve it and it is on federal land

Good luck and be safe

Bridge End Farm said:
if your looking for a cache at an old farmhouse
and by the date you have there is a very good chance of
one being there somewhere if not found already

try to figure out where places like kitchen window was etc

most folks liked to be able to see where it was stashed and tell
immediately if someone got it.

The kitchen was always a place of someone being cooking and baking

I don't think you'll find a cache in a well but it is not impossible
as like others even said there is a legend here where I am of the
rebels tossing gold into a deep well to keep it out of union hands.
To this day attempts have been made they have not been
able to retrieve it and it is on federal land

Good luck and be safe

Most likely you are correct in this assumption, however, if anybody was to use a well to hid a cashe, it most likely in the south during the civil war...and more likely, a well to do family rather than a dirt poor farmer...

Just my two cents, but I haven't heard anyone else mention this yet, so here goes. I have read stories of people burying their valuables inside the Wall of a well. Most likely would be within the first six feet or less of the opening. something they may be able to reach down into, to get at. try detecting all the walls and see if you get any signals. there could have been loose bricks at one time that enabled them to create a little cubby. good luck and keep us informed!
;D

I can't say it's location, but I know of a well that was at a large 1700's tavern and than later a hotel. We had found many of great finds around the place, I mentioned the fact to the landowner that it may be very possible that the old well could have been treated as a wishing well, because of it's design. So we rigged up a spot light and shined the well to see if we could see anything, There wasn't much water but the whole bottom shined with what looked to be silver. We was told that we would make arrangements to excavate, but that day never came and he kept the well to himself. I heard later that he brought a bunch of great coins and other relics out.

A well is a major role in the history of a site, so anything is possible, just be very careful as natural springs and age of the well can be very dangerous when digging around in it.

Nova Treasure

mclmorizfat,

You have said cache hunting is what you prefer, well then as you know you have to do a lot of work to get at them, sometimes it pays off, most times not, but when you do find a good one it makes up for all the ones that came up empty. Just remember if it was easy, someone else probably found it.

There have been a lot of good posts on this subject and I "Wish You Well"

GG~

nova treasure said:
I can't say it's location, but I know of a well that was at a large 1700's tavern and than later a hotel. We had found many of great finds around the place, I mentioned the fact to the landowner that it may be very possible that the old well could have been treated as a wishing well, because of it's design. So we rigged up a spot light and shined the well to see if we could see anything, There wasn't much water but the whole bottom shined with what looked to be silver. We was told that we would make arrangements to excavate, but that day never came and he kept the well to himself. I heard later that he brought a bunch of great coins and other relics out.

A well is a major role in the history of a site, so anything is possible, just be very careful as natural springs and age of the well can be very dangerous when digging around in it.

Nova Treasure

This is why you never give away your ideas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back