Diggin times at the beach

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Upvote 0
I think the best time to beach hunt is early evening before the early morning hunters hit the beach. If I hit the beach in the am I try to be on it before the sun comes up.

HH tonight!

I like to be out there at sunrise. Peaceful and uncrowded. I also watch the tides though and will go out there and hunt the outgoing tides when I can.

Anytime is a good time to be on the beach. :thumbsup: As for metal detecting, for me it depends on the conditions of the beach, the tide cycle, etc.

Went out yesterday around 5:00 and the beach was crowded. People stayed until the sun went down and then started leaving around 8:00. Dint find much just clad and an ear ring. Went this morning to a different beach. Nice sun rise, peaceful and cool. No drunks trying to impress their girlfriends either. Think I will stick to the morning hunts.

Saturday evening is probably the worst night as far as peeps on the beaches here imo. Like you said, many peeps partying until all hours as most don't need to be at work in the am. Sunday evening's seem to be at bit quieter with the locals and the tourist season is winding down now but there is always going to be a few.

Once school gets out in a few weeks the finds will pick up. We're just in between right now imo. But it also means more locals out there too...

I also like hitting some of the parks after alot of the music festivals we have around Tampa bay...Vinoy, Coachman, etc. I keep a concert/festival list and dates. I'm always checking out where the next big outdoor event is that will allow MDing and isn't a concrete jungle. Just a tip....

Be in place on the beach at or before sunrise, and work the dry sand areas where blankets are laid. Assuming you've started around 5AM, by 9AM you should be ready to move to the wet sand areas along the shore, there the ground is flat and you can move faster. By 10AM you should be about done, get some lunch (in your car). Then set up the CTX (or whatever you use) for water and by 10:30AM be in the water detecting. I work parallel to the shore to keep the water height even, start near the shore, walk 100 yards or so, then go deeper and return. If you're over your head at some point you've gone out too far.

Hitting the water last gets you out of the way as people set up on the beach sand and puts you in a cooler place during the heat of the day (plus visibility on the sea floor is better). You can stay in the water all day if you had the energy and battery life - almost no one is going to bother you out there, even if the beach area is crowded. You should be out in chest deep water by the time most people are in the surf.

By 2AM you are probably ready to go -- I know I am after about 8 hours hunting. When you leave, switch off your machine and walk straight out of the water for the parking lot. Don't forget to smile.

Jackalope

Very good routine Jackalope! Great info! I'm smiling...:thumbsup:

sounds like a pretty solid plan Jackalope

"If you're over your head you've gone too far.".....:laughing7:....that's classic! Love it! Actually done it several times. :laughing7:

nice routine there Jack

If I followed your schedule Jackalope, I would either need thermal imaging to see the surface from six feet under, or a long privy rod to poke to the surface from below.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back