Digging a Hole for Yourself!

Great post John:thumbsup: I have to admit, considering I'm a woods hunter I have no experience with grass, I found myself to do the "wrong method" this, once in my backyard and once somewhere else. Never again will that happen, thanks for such a useful post John, I'm sure many can and will benefit from it.

Thank you for the comment ... thought it might be too basic for discussion, but it's a real problem over here in the UK.

I do not know the laws where you live but often when hunting a lawn I will dig with an old bayonet and actually cut a circle . I guess like your flap then excavate the target. Good blog on ethical proper techniques .
HH

Yes I have seen a form of this method done by a guy who does metal detecting lectures, except his method was making an ''I'' shape cut and folding the 2 halves open like performing open heart surgery. I always use a drop cloth for the dirt and up till now dug plugs, I have dug a lot of plugs in my back yard with no dead grass showing but I do like this method.....I just got to get into the habit of it now.

As far as the probe goes, I can not see how you can not mark the coin even if the probe is brass. You have to physically hit the coin on purpose with the probe to locate it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back