What's new

Digging Disaster Areas..

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
1,985
Reaction score
1,661
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wonder if it was ethical to swing and dig old disaster areas were bodies are still missing, albeit over 108 years ago?:icon_scratch:
 
I was wonder if it was ethical to swing and dig old disaster areas were bodies are still missing, albeit over 108 years ago?:icon_scratch:
I dig through my garage all the time, and it's a disaster area. I have encountered a few dead mice and dead birds from time to time.
 
Age affects morality then?
 
Old disaster areas many times are reclaimed, so to speak, and built over, paved over, and generally re-used by the particular community when you are dealing with a 108 yr old situation. It would depend on the location, and if it was now reclaimed and legal on my part to be there. I wouldn't be there if it was illegal to do so but considering for this discussion that it is legal to be there, I would be personally and moraly bound to try and locate family if any identifiable pieces of jewelery are found, or the authorities if a body were found by me. These are just my personal beliefs but if non identifiable objects/jewelery were found, I'd go on about my MDing without notifying anyone.
 
Old disaster areas many times are reclaimed, so to speak, and built over, paved over, and generally re-used by the particular community when you are dealing with a 108 yr old situation. It would depend on the location, and if it was now reclaimed and legal on my part to be there. I wouldn't be there if it was illegal to do so but considering for this discussion that it is legal to be there, I would be personally and moraly bound to try and locate family if any identifiable pieces of jewelery are found, or the authorities if a body were found by me. These are just my personal beliefs but if non identifiable objects/jewelery were found, I'd go on about my MDing without notifying anyone.

I am not a spot burner, but here are the details of the tragedy.
Haverstraw Landslide of 1906 Commemorated | The Rockland County Times

"The area was never reclaimed, and visitors today can see the enormous hole where a century ago homes and businesses stood on Jefferson, Clinton, Washington, Division, Rockland and Liberty Streets."

bilde.webpdownload.webpHaverstraw_Village_Landslide_1906.webp
 
Mucky,

Is it legal for you to hunt there? Sounds more like it's now an historical site and they wouldn't allow MDing.
 
Mucky,

Is it legal for you to hunt there? Sounds more like it's now an historical site and they wouldn't allow MDing.

There is no park there and there isn't the typical sign stating the rules. Its just open space marshland in a seedy neighborhood. I think they just are commemorating the date not the location.
 
Mucky,

Is it legal for you to hunt there? Sounds more like it's now an historical site and they wouldn't allow MDing.

There is no park there and there isn't the typical sign stating the rules. Its just open space marshland in a seedy neighborhood. I think they just are commemorating the date not the location.
 
Depending on my mood that day, yeah, I'd probably hunt it and see what I could find. The previously stated parameters would apply for me though if something identifiable was found. If the area is too seedy, I'd sure have some kind of friend along too.
 
Depending on my mood that day, yeah, I'd probably hunt it and see what I could find. The previously stated parameters would apply for me though if something identifiable was found. If the area is too seedy, I'd sure have some kind of friend along too.

Absolutely! Ed Brown is always with me.
Ed Brown.webp

If anybody approached me, I would donate the least valuable items to the local museum, or try to locate the families and give it to them.
 
As a practical matter, if they couldn't recover the bodies after the slide, you're not going to dig them up with your trowel.

The Frank Slide in Alberta is basically a graveyard, with bodies under tons of rock. It's illegal to remove anything from that site, understandably.

But if it's legal, I say detect it.
 
MuckyBottles,

My friend's name is a little different, but in the same ethnic family. He goes by a first name of Ruger P-85 and a last name of 9MM hollowpoint. As you can easily see, that's the friend I was meaning!! LOL!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom