What's new

Digging tool

jkennedy

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2009
Messages
26
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I keep breaking or bending my digging tools any suggestions on a good one
sorry cant use any shovels or backhoes ;D
 
I use the Planter Buddy from Lowes ($13), but I'm easy on my equipment.

Maybe the Lesche digger would be better for you. I heard it's nearly impossible to break, though quite pricey ($46). :)

Bran <><
 
I use the Vigoro Ergo Transplanter, but I had to modify it. The top portion of the spade would catch my headphone cable, so I cut it down and rounded the edges. Also, none of those garden spades are really made for going through thick grass or small roots, so I sharpen the edges on a grinder. Works nice. 25 year warranty (oh sure!).
 
Johnnysan said:
Also, none of those garden spades are really made for going through thick grass or small roots, so I sharpen the edges on a grinder. Works nice. 25 year warranty (oh sure!).

Actually, mine is! It's serrated from top to bottom on one side, and then sharpened like a knife edge on the other side. It also has two prongs on the tip that work well for getting into it. Oh yeah, it has a "lifetime warranty" too. The only downside, the blade isn't full tang... so people who are hard on their tools might possibly break it. I finally saw one broken on here not that long ago.

Bran <><
 

Attachments

  • PB_diagram.webp
    PB_diagram.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 387
  • PB_diagram.webp
    PB_diagram.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 386
Leshce digging tools are very rugged. I use the knife type and a long relic digger. They are well worth the money.
 
keyhole saw is a great cheap alternative.
 
My Lesche digging tool and relic shovel and Trans-Mississippi Electronics push digger (my favorite for parks). All rugged to the extreme and show no signs of failure yet.

An investment in a good tool is usually well worth it.
 

Attachments

  • HPIM1209.webp
    HPIM1209.webp
    47.1 KB · Views: 362
For years I did with "gardening" diggers. Some were decent, some weren't worth the time it took to make them. Finally I broke down and finally bought a Lesche...End of the searching period. Worth every penny.
 
johnnycat said:
For years I did with "gardening" diggers. Some were decent, some weren't worth the time it took to make them. Finally I broke down and finally bought a Lesche...End of the searching period. Worth every penny.
Second That!
 
Save the pain and you'll gain with the Lesche hand digger. I tried all kinds and broke them all, never had a problem with the Lesche. In fact I lost mine once and bought 2 , one for backup in case I lose another. Just about stood on this digger in semi-frozen ground, hard clay and prying roots. One tough son of a gun this digger. IMO!!

HH
 
I use the treasure wise 3 in 1 knife it works good about half the price of the lesch.
 
well thank you all for the info i will order my lesche now ;D
 
Lesche digging tool!! Oh... you decided to get one already! Good move! ;D
 
Re: My Arkie Tabdog Digger

I'll let tha pic's do tha talkin,

2-14-1.jpg


2-14-2.jpg


2-14-3.jpg


2-14-4.jpg


2-14-5.jpg


2-14-6.jpg


That aluminum can was about 8" deep.

There was fill over the filds and the finds were deep, or on top.

2-14-7.jpg


2-14-8.jpg


2-14-9.jpg


I made that one out of a Craftsman 15" long 1/2" drive
breaker bar.

2-5-11.jpg


The handle, I made into the blade of the digger.

2-5-6.jpg


My second one is a 15" long 1/2" drive ratchet I got at
a pawn shop for $3.

2-17-1.jpg


After 3 hours of grinding and keeping it cool by dunking
in a bucket of water before it got too hot and looses it's
temper.

Those two diggers are so hard, they wore my 6" grinding
wheel to a nub.

2-17-2.jpg


That roughed out my second digger.

2-17-3b.jpg


Several coats of plastic coat from Lowes for $8.

2-17-4b.jpg


It's a tough digger.

2-25-6-1.jpg


That's because it's tha Arkie Tabdog Digger.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
 
Re: My Arkie Tabdog Digger

tabdog said:
I made that one out of a Craftsman 15" long 1/2" drive
breaker bar.
Think that might void the "Craftsman lifetime warrenty" ::) But a good idea!
 
Hay CC Hunter,

It may not have voided tha warranty???

But my digger is worth more to me
than tha twenty some odd dollars it
takes to buy a breaker bar.

My digger is tha best hand digger I have
ever used.

I had got to the point I used screw drivers
to recover targets. Two problems with a
screw driver.

1. They mark targets.

2. They can not scope dirt out of tha hole
very well.

This new digger I made has yet to mark a
target because of tha way it lends itself to
retrival.

The subtle shape makes it easy to scoop
dirt out of a small hole.

It is extremely tough.

I can stick the tip of my digger in a crack
in a wall and hang on it.

I am over 250 pounds.

I can throw it, tip first, on to concrete as
hard as I can throw it.

It will take it.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
 
godisnum1 said:
Johnnysan said:
Also, none of those garden spades are really made for going through thick grass or small roots, so I sharpen the edges on a grinder. Works nice. 25 year warranty (oh sure!).

Actually, mine is! It's serrated from top to bottom on one side, and then sharpened like a knife edge on the other side. It also has two prongs on the tip that work well for getting into it. Oh yeah, it has a "lifetime warranty" too. The only downside, the blade isn't full tang... so people who are hard on their tools might possibly break it. I finally saw one broken on here not that long ago.

Bran <><




i actually just bought one of these.....cant beat the price
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom