diging to bed rock?

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Makro*JeoHunter*3D Dual System. Some others still updateing.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I seek some info on how far down bedrock would be in my general area, I live near the Placerville Cameron park area, the land I live on has red mineralized dirt, and It does not take long to dig till I hit brownish tan clay, I know lotus river is at bedrock but I was hoping I don't have to dig that far till I hit it =p

Depends entirely where you are in your area. There's no general rule. One of our properties has hundreds of feet of placer gravels just a quarter mile away while we're on solid rock.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One way to find out! I am ten minutes from you if you need an extra shovel. Ive been wanting to get a big dig going. Could be a complete waste of time but youll never know unless you try. If you want different gold you have to try differnt things others arnt willing to do. Scratching around on the surface ia only going to get so much gold no mater how hard you look. My plan would be to find a dig site that is not too far from exposed bedrock so at least i know its not 100ft deep.
I have one spot in mind to dig one day. Its a huge inside bend gravel bar. There is a huge tree growing in the cobble at the back up against the canyon wall that is at the very least 100 years old. I dug down a little where the rock face meets the ground and already has color on top so very well could be big stuff down deep. Those tree roots could be a nightmare but the gold could be amazing also... never know!

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upstate NY our water well went 400ft until we hit bedrock.Next house over their well hit bedrock at 55ft.

OP
OP
B

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm down to dig at your spot!

One way to find out! I am ten minutes from you if you need an extra shovel. Ive been wanting to get a big dig going. Could be a complete waste of time but youll never know unless you try. If you want different gold you have to try differnt things others arnt willing to do. Scratching around on the surface ia only going to get so much gold no mater how hard you look. My plan would be to find a dig site that is not too far from exposed bedrock so at least i know its not 100ft deep.
I have one spot in mind to dig one day. Its a huge inside bend gravel bar. There is a huge tree growing in the cobble at the back up against the canyon wall that is at the very least 100 years old. I dug down a little where the rock face meets the ground and already has color on top so very well could be big stuff down deep. Those tree roots could be a nightmare but the gold could be amazing also... never know!

I'm down to dig at the spot your talking about, I bought a earth auger as well to help me not have to dig so much XD I plan to get an electric one as well, All msg you and give you my number 👍

OP
OP
B

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upstate NY our water well went 400ft until we hit bedrock.Next house over their well hit bedrock at 55ft.

That's what I thought, I did some research before asking though, random thought, wouldn't it be neat dig up a mammoth tusk? XD thanks for all the info to, where I am? I really don't know how far down bed rock is, I live right by a caved in mine, I did inspect some rocks and it's quarts and tan clay, now I have no idea how deep it went, but judging by the amount of hill mounds they dug a lot. On another forum I asked about my ground sinking in near the mine, look at them if your interested. If it is a sink hole then oh well =p My dad says if something happens then we will take care of it XD

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I thought, I did some research before asking though, random thought, wouldn't it be neat dig up a mammoth tusk? XD thanks for all the info to, where I am? I really don't know how far down bed rock is, I live right by a caved in mine, I did inspect some rocks and it's quarts and tan clay, now I have no idea how deep it went, but judging by the amount of hill mounds they dug a lot. On another forum I asked about my ground sinking in near the mine, look at them if your interested. If it is a sink hole then oh well =p My dad says if something happens then we will take care of it XD

Tailings and dumps can be incredibly misleading. One copper mine I looked at when I was just getting started in this hubbub has around 200' of drifts on one level, and I never checked the upper level. There's no tailings, no dump, nada. The only way I found it was from above on a cliff on an opposite hill looking down into it. Then you could see the spots where they had walked in and out as they had removed the brush round the portal. Most of it has never grown back as it's bare rock now.

Dead center...

sw.jpg

Don't mind the "72T Cu" tag. That's how I track all unknown, unnamed mines in a few counties here where we hunt. I'm into the 1800's as far as cataloged mines and I haven't done any in quite some time.

Others seem to have every single speck of dust from inside the workings piled up outside.

Sometimes you'll get very pleasantly surprised with how much work was done underground.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread