Dime and halves questions

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes:

Why is it the 1965 dimes look like they have silver in them? Not all but a large number of them sure look like it. Maybe it's just me.

Halves:

Stopped by a credit union the other day. The teller sold me $50 dollars worth. 3 of the rolls were direct from the US mint. Solid 2005, 2010, and 2011's. Each roll has the date on the outside showing what's in the roll. Are these worth any more than face?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Never seen a silver 65 dime.. if it has copper on the rim, it's not silver. If it is a silver coin, then you got one worth a lot.

The NIFC's are worth a little over face.. if you want to be worth a little more, wait 20-50 years at least.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you are takling about. I can spot a 1965 dime the minute I open a roll. My wife gets tricked by the 1965 dimes all the time. It seems like a combonation of wear and something else. If I had to guess I'd say they were still playing with the clad material in 1965...

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Novapax said:
Halves:

Stopped by a credit union the other day. The teller sold me $50 dollars worth. 3 of the rolls were direct from the US mint. Solid 2005, 2010, and 2011's. Each roll has the date on the outside showing what's in the roll. Are these worth any more than face?

Thanks.

Finding NIFC halves still in mint rolls are the best clad P & D NIFC halves to find. Yes they are worth a little over face but you'd have to check ebay to see exactly how much. The mint sells them in 2 roll sets for either $32.95 or $35.95 (last time I checked anyway).

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a roll of 2010's on my journey. I am keeping them in my coin collection and one day they'll be worth more than face. Keep them if possible.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
The '65 dimes look like silver to you because you are in the last stages of a disease called "silveritis".

"Silveritis is a syndrome affecting certain followers of an arcane pursuit known as "coin roll hunting". The obsession for possession causes delusional perception in session after session."

In other words....you are normal.

Keep on Rollin' !

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Piledriver said:
The '65 dimes look like silver to you because you are in the last stages of a disease called "silveritis".

"Silveritis is a syndrome affecting certain followers of an arcane pursuit known as "coin roll hunting". The obsession for possession causes delusional perception in session after session."

In other words....you are normal.

Keep on Rollin' !

Funny!!!!!

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing worse than 1965 rosies is common Canadians!!! I get two or three canadian dimes for every silver rosie.. its awful

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
Never seen a silver 65 dime.. if it has copper on the rim, it's not silver. If it is a silver coin, then you got one worth a lot.

The NIFC's are worth a little over face.. if you want to be worth a little more, wait 20-50 years at least.

There are some 1965 silver dimes

1965 SILVER Roosevelt dime

WORTH UP TO $20,000

The U.S. Mint officially stopped the manufacture of silver Roosevelt dimes in 1964. So virtually every Roosevelt dime you find dated “1965” will not be silver; it will be composed of copper and nickel “clad.” This rare 1965 dime mistake is made of 90% silver and, as such, is 1 of only a few accounted for. You can tell silver from clad by examining the coin’s edge: The rare silver coin has a silver edge; the common clad coin has a strip of brown around the edge. Experts believe that a small number of 1965 silver dimes were manufactured by mistake at the Mint, and many of those are still waiting to be discovered hiding in piggy banks and cookie jars. One recently found circulated example was sold at auction for nearly $9,000 in July 2003.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 344

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Novapax said:
Dimes:

Why is it the 1965 dimes look like they have silver in them? Not all but a large number of them sure look like it. Maybe it's just me.

I don't do dimes, but when I edge search halves I find myself looking at 1971 dates on most of the ambiguous coins. 71's look different to me.

warhawk77

Greenie
Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Novapax said:
Dimes:

I just started hunting and last night I found a 1965 dime that looks just like the silver half so I put it aside because I hopped it would be special. Thanks for asking the question. And thanks for the answers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread