l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't do it. Guaranteed to reduce the value,the surface of the coin will be permanently ruined.

OP
OP
T

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
l.cutler said:
Don't do it. Guaranteed to reduce the value,the surface of the coin will be permanently ruined.

So in your opinion proofs should never be dipped. What about non proofs? I know there are people that do it.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only clean/dip a coin if you NEVER plan to sell it.

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I use diluted "MS-70" which is a cleaner for coins and is usually $8 at coin shops. With practice it will not remove the toning, but works extremely well on surface contamination without affecting the appearance of the coin. If you do use it, practice on cheap coins first. And of course, NEVER CLEAN COINS ;) That coming from someone with 30 years experience collecting, buying, selling coins of all kinds. Of course I clean coins, but with practice I do not hurt the value of coins, and in many cases increase value. I can even disclose that I cleaned the coin, but you would never know, and the eye appeal is so good the buyers really don't care. I have had my "cleaned" coins go into PCGS holders. Oddly enough, I have seen coins that I know weren't cleaned come back from PCGS as cleaned so they wouldn't put them in a holder. Coin collecting is a strange world sometimes....

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
djui5 said:
Only clean/dip a coin if you NEVER plan to sell it.
agreed b/c a cleaned coin you will never get the value you would have gotten if it were not cleaned

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Cleaning coins is an art. If you learn how to do it right, it will serve you well. The secret, of course, is practice. And more importantly, knowing which coins NOT to clean.

Cleaning proofs is fine as long as you only dip the coin for a half second or so---maybe a little longer depending on the metal or how the proofs were struck that particular year. (If it's a modern, frosted, cameo-this, mirror-that, you better know what you're doing!) Immediately wash with water, pat dry with a jeweler's cloth (do NOT rub), and let air dry in a dry environment. Put some silica gel nearby and you're good to go.

Coin dealers do it all the time, even though they'd never admit it. I remember one day when I was cleaning coins, three other dealers came by to check out some rare coins we just got in. The "shop talk" turned to cleaning, and we all discussed our favorite ways to clean proofs.

It can be done just fine. Just make sure you practice on some junk proofs first.

The biggest mistake people make with cleaning proofs is assuming that hairline scratches will vanish if they clean their proofs. Won't happen. If it's damaged, cleaning it won't help one bit.

Also, don't dip copper. And before you dip, try soaking the coins in clear ammonia for a few seconds first, cause sometimes you don't need dip.

That's another thing I should have mentioned. Before you dip, first try cleaning your coins with less harsh methods, like water or ammonia.

And how you dry is just as important as how you wash. Whatever you do, don't rub the coins dry. That will scratch them.

Good luck, IF you decided to clean them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions