Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The past couple days (Th, Fr) have been perfect here; clear & sunny, high 60sF.
Spent the better part of both mornings at my permission--1850 farmhouse.

Thursday:
1716634077211.jpeg

Toy Knife(?) That's what it looked like to us.
Fishing sinker--small​
Fishing sinker--large (different hole)​
(Farmhouse is a few hundred feet from town creek)​
1976 P Lincoln Memorial penny
Lead... Tag(?) of some kind. Too far corroded to get any writing/markings--none. 🙁
1911 P Liberty Head "V" nickel
1716634479506.jpeg

1716634515081.jpeg

Friday:
1716634622299.jpeg

Hex nut & lock washer--found together, but not attached.
Thing--no idea ANYBODY?
1976 P Lincoln Memorial penny (another--SS-DD?) 🤣
2 chain links

1716634872490.jpeg

Upvote 17
You did good :)

Awesome! That's a nice-looking V nickel!

You did good :)
Awesome! That's a nice-looking V nickel!
Thank you. It's such a tiny property (now)--less than an acre--that's never been detected, and I'm only 1/4 of the way through it. Hopefully, better stuff still to be uncovered.

I've apparently attracted the attention of some of the neighbors; I get about one per day coming over to find out what's going on. Yesterday (Fri) a woman from the next property over asked if I'd lost something. "I see you've got that Geiger counter there..." she said. 🤣

I'm hopeful that if I play my cards right, I may be able to get one (or more) follow-up permissions. :thumbsup:

The V nickel was a pleasant surprise. At first I thought it was just another Zincoln penny, then as the soil fell away, I saw some silver color and thought it was a dime. Rubbing some more dirt off, I could tell from the size that it was a a nickel, so I thought Jefferson--maybe buff. It wasn't until I pulled out my loop to find a date that I saw the telltale V. 😁

Nice job on that “V”. 👍

I’m guessing part of an old door lock on that “thingy”.
The old flat type 1800’s door locks.
MM

Nice job on that “V”. 👍

I’m guessing part of an old door lock on that “thingy”.
The old flat type 1800’s door locks.
MM
Better guess than mine! 👍🏼

Poring over pics of mortise lock parts, I'm not seeing it, but that doesn't mean anything. 🤓 It does seem to have that look about it. AFAIK, the original locks are still on the doors; new locks were added rather than replaced. (I wonder if the owners know why there are two "front" doors. 😉)

How about something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_7452.jpeg
    IMG_7452.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 8
Nice going on the V Nickle. I think that your mystery piece is an early cam lock for concrete forms.

How about something like this?
Something like... Those all seem to have offsets of the main stalk; this one is straight. Those have short protrusions; this one is long.

The more I study it though, the more I think it's a part that slides like a bolt, whether from a door/lock or something totally unrelated.

Nice going on the V Nickle. I think that your mystery piece is an early cam lock for concrete forms.
Thanks. I wouldn't know. I do know that the house--main part and additions--and the barn have rubble walls. Can't think of anyplace there's concrete, but I can ask... 🤓

ADDENDUM 1:

I went back again yesterday. I didn't find anything except a bunch of the exact same hex nuts, strewn about among several target holes. I think I'm up to 5 or 6. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
Nice finds- that V-Nickel is sweet- Congrats!

ADDENDUM 2:

Back again yesterday (Sun. 5/26/24), a little better than the day before. At least I found a couple items worth(?) documenting...

1716816576221.jpeg

1716816618654.jpeg

Sheet metal buckle(?) of some kind. Not sure of the metal; non-magnetic, no rust/corrosion. Tin?
Wire twist--non-magnetic. Wire appears to be copper inside some hardened insulation.
Casting--different than previous lamp base casting; that one was bronze--this is iron.
Wrench (or what's left of one)-- very heavy/solid, no markings or ID. 🙁
Coupla '87 Zincoln pennies (Whooptie 👆🏼)
Brass finger pull

I still had a half hour, so I walked around the property just to get a feel for what kinds of signals were around different places. Unfortunately, I found quite a few areas buried under wood chips where some stumps had been ground. I don't know if I can detect though it (it's quite deep/thick) let alone dig through it. 🤔

I've located a couple of depressions that may have been privy holes, but I'm not really into that anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back