Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some people just can't help themselves posting up cabinet toned coins w/ no dirt in the crevices and passing them off as dug. Like veterans cant see through that foolishness. So I post this up for reference. Raw, as dug w/ the exception that my wife wiped the cross side off on her pant leg once before I got a chance to warn her not too. It wasn't her fault. She saw me wipe countless items that way. Anyway, no harm done aside from a few superficial scratches. The coin looks bright in the video because of the sunshine. It ain't. It's moderately toned. Even held under artificial light the toning seems to almost disappear. Putting it down directly against a pure white background made it look dark and raw - perfect for this post.

Attachments

• IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    571.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Upvote 14

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for posting a perfect example of silver that's been in the dirt, water and mineralization for a very long time. My early silvers look just like that....or worse

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. Ive rarely if ever dug any silver that didnt have some degree of dark toning to it. Especially on the older farm field dug silver

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    471.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    908.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    476.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This incident reminds me of a few Sundays ago. My kids and grandkids were over for a small BBQ and the 6 yr old girl is quite the prankster. I was grilling while she was playing in the clover patch out back. She came toward me and exclaimed "I found a 4 leaf clover". I hadnt found one since I searched as a kid so I said "oh, yeah, let me see". Then she stopped dead in her tracks as if surprised I even wanted to see it and tore the clover up then dropped it and replied "oh well, too late". All I said was "the most impressive thing you could have done was to show me a 4 leaf clover because anyone can merely claim to have found one". She said nothing while tilting her head slightly to the side. Even my 6 year old granddaughter "got it".

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This incident reminds me of a few Sundays ago. My kids and grandkids were over for a small BBQ and the 6 yr old girl is quite the prankster. I was grilling while she was playing in the clover patch out back. She came toward me and exclaimed "I found a 4 leaf clover". I hadnt found one since I searched as a kid so I said "oh, yeah, let me see". Then she stopped dead in her tracks as if surprised I even wanted to see it and tore the clover up then dropped it and replied "oh well, too late". All I said was "the most impressive thing you could have done was to show me a 4 leaf clover because anyone can merely claim to have found one". She said nothing while tilting her head slightly to the side. Even my 6 year old granddaughter "got it".
WOW gwdigger You're going to have to show me how you make your coins look like they come fresh out of the dirt! Har Har I love it when someone passes an obvious shelf coin on the thread and gets zero comments :) You can hear the crickets chirping. All I can think is man this is a polite bunch of peoples here.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the 2 reale cob I dug last year. It was brighter until it hit the air.
Cob in dirt.jpg
Cob Front.JPG
You can see how it has gotten darker in this pic
Spanish-All 9-5-16.JPG

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW gwdigger You're going to have to show me how you make your coins look like they come fresh out of the dirt! Har Har I love it when someone passes an obvious shelf coin on the thread and gets zero comments :) You can hear the crickets chirping. All I can think is man this is a polite bunch of peoples here.

Yeah I love when that happens too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not just 'polite'members it's against the 'rules'.

I think someone insinuated 'with a comment' that one of my digs were 'faked' oh well , did not hurt my feelings as I knew that I dug it .

IMO
I think we should be able to "?" some finds but I can see where it would be a problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions