Discrete Nature Call Nets Two Spanish Silvers

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, we've all been there. Out in the middle of a big old field, and need some privacy to take a simple number one. I was with a couple of guys years ago who went all together at the same time along the edge of a field, sort of like a police line up; they were facing into the brush of course but were still in plain sight! I thought they should have been a bit more discrete as a residence was located nearby.

Earlier this week, I was out detecting and had to go - no, not leave - go for a number one. I had been detecting for 2+ hours and dug one toasted copper (Are there any other kind? :icon_scratch:) and had not much else to show for my efforts other than a need to do my business somewhere in the brush - badly. I had to take a bit of walk along the field as the brush all along the side was too thick to enter. I really had to go (again - the other kind) and quickened my pace until I stopped short for a promising signal. Certainly, my bladder felt like it was ready to explode :icon_silent: :icon_silent: :icon_silent:, but heck, I'm going to keep swinging as I walk even if my swing is not exactly wide and overlapping. So I toss down my digger to mark the spot and continue walking, nearly running :walk: down of the side of the field and find a small clearing. Ahhhhhhhh! Okay, now I'm good to go. I walk back onto the field take about five steps and hit on a good signal. It turned out to be a small Spanish half-reale. It was real worn, but hey, I'm not going to complain about scoring Spanish silver on a bathroom run. I worked the immediate area around the coin and found nothing else. I then proceeded to the signal marked by my hand digger. I cut a plug and what do I find? I recovered another Spanish silver half-reale dated 1786. I found nothing else worth mentioning for the next hour or so. Here's some photos.

dug condition

PB120649.JPG

end result after treatment with short electrolysis cook

PB120654.JPG

PB120657.JPG

Towards the end of my search, I considered chugging down some bottled water that might eventually require another retreat into the woods and the opportunity to come upon more Spanish silver, but that would have been just silly or maybe not? ???

Upvote 54

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was destined to be !! Congrats !!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to remember to over-hydrate the next time I'm out! Excellent finds sir!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember one time I was hunting the Arboretum here in A2 I had to go the deuce. so Im way out in the wooded area behind a tree, and its 7.00 am its about 40 degrees and out of no where come a group of older women on a nature walk I didn't have time to do anything but wave. Anyway those are some really cool coins.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember one time I was hunting the Arboretum here in A2 I had to go the deuce. so Im way out in the wooded area behind a tree, and its 7.00 am its about 40 degrees and out of no where come a group of older women on a nature walk I didn't have time to do anything but wave. Anyway those are some really cool coins.

Now that's a compromising position. You need to be careful when being out in the great outdoors. This time you were lucky, but you don't know who you might meet up with next.

images[2].jpg

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! That's even better than on the way back to the car. I detect a lot of rustic campsites in my area and always circle the likely places where someone may have done their business in the past. What better way to spill everything out of your pockets.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice silver finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bathroom break! Congrats!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice, never thought of using my peepointer(;

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds for sure and when it was the least expected. Congratulations!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL!!! You'd better be ready for everything nature has to offer if you want to take a nature walk!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like answering nature's call was quite lucrative, congratulations! Never found any Spanish and you got 2 just for takin' a whiz. Life ain't fair I tell ya! :tongue3: All I have to relate is once while creekhunting for fossils I stopped, took a leak, and realized I had just urinated all over a rather nice coral specimen... Yeah, I grabbed it lol.

I didn't have time to do anything but wave.

Hahahahaha!!! Man Tommy you're a riot, you really do make the forum a better place. Don't ever change bro :headbang:.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like answering nature's call was quite lucrative, congratulations! Never found any Spanish and you got 2 just for takin' a whiz. Life ain't fair I tell ya! :tongue3: All I have to relate is once while creekhunting for fossils I stopped, took a leak, and realized I had just urinated all over a rather nice coral specimen... Yeah, I grabbed it lol.

Hahahahaha!!! Man Tommy you're a riot, you really do make the forum a better place. Don't ever change bro :headbang:.

So you took a whiz on your unexpected find, and still took it home as a prized find? My friend, you are a true, hardcore treasure hunter - well done. I imagine you described it as a "golden coral specimen" when you got home with it. That's what I would tell my wife.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a large field one time when I had the "#1 call". Not a tree or bush for a mile, so, the best I could do was use a nearby fence post. After watering that post real good, I detected down the fence line a bit, until I saw a sign hanging on the fence wire which gave me a sobering pause. It said "Do not touch, electric fence" Either it wasn't turned on or I didn't make the shocking connection ( I didn't touch the fence to find out either). I'm a bit more cautious where I "go" now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions