What's new

"Disk" from the same site we dug 4 US Buckles

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
"Disk" from the same site we dug 4 US Buckles

Ok, so when I first uncovered this I SWEAR I had a tongue but... it is pretty much flat and has been "repaired" with two nails driven through it that rusted all over it. The disk itself is brass, the discoloration is rust... I have cleaned it a little but have not done anything else.. any ideas??? This was right in the middle of a ton of Civil War relics with no other "trash"... not even shotgun shells...
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 420
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    51.3 KB · Views: 409
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    63.5 KB · Views: 397
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 416
Re: "Disk" from the same site we dug 4 US Buckles

GL said:
The cover off a tractor smokestack...

That would be a small smoke stack.
 
Upvote 0
Re: "Disk" from the same site we dug 4 US Buckles

Broken patchbox cover that was repaired with nails?
 
Upvote 0
Re: "Disk" from the same site we dug 4 US Buckles

RPG said:
Broken patchbox cover that was repaired with nails?
I was going to say the same but how do you drive a nail through a small piece of brass?
Are you sure it wasnt just rusted onto it?
Antique_school_desk_with_ink_well.webp
I am also thinking inkwell cover but I dont know about the holes in the top.
patchbox2.webpEnglish_Ink_Well.webp
 

Attachments

  • Antique_school_desk_with_ink_well.webp
    Antique_school_desk_with_ink_well.webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 0
Re: "Disk" from the same site we dug 4 US Buckles

bigcypresshunter said:
RPG said:
Broken patchbox cover that was repaired with nails?
I was going to say the same but how do you drive a nail through a small piece of brass?
Are you sure it wasnt just rusted onto it?


I am also thinking inkwell cover but I dont know about the holes in the top.

Hmm... the inkwell cover looks close... not sure why there are nail holes in it?? They are square nails... no doubt

MB
 
Upvote 0
Re: "Disk" from the same site we dug 4 US Buckles

MonkeyBoy said:
bigcypresshunter said:
RPG said:
Broken patchbox cover that was repaired with nails?
I was going to say the same but how do you drive a nail through a small piece of brass?
Are you sure it wasnt just rusted onto it?


I am also thinking inkwell cover but I dont know about the holes in the top.

Hmm... the inkwell cover looks close... not sure why there are nail holes in it?? They are square nails... no doubt

MB

Maybe a nail was used to punch the holes but string or wire was used to hold the lid on. Personally, I like the patch box cover idea.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: "Disk" from the same site we dug 4 US Buckles

HI monkey boy

THIS LOOKS LIKE A STEEL TRAP PAN. (Just my guess)

Les
 
Upvote 0
Re: "Disk" from the same site we dug 4 US Buckles

After looking at a bunch of pictures... it really looks like a patch boxcover... maybe.. maybe not associated with the Civil War relics we found in the area.. there was a house circa 1750s close by so it does fit..


Thanks,

Mark
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom