Dissolving Quarts / Calcite

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have had this specimen for a while. The gold contained is in a large reefy chunk. Corse and jagged. Not flakes.

I put it into vinegar and I was able to etch away a small bit of the host rock exposing more of the gold. It’s very slow going. Anyone know of a slightly faster way to etch away the host rock?

Attachments

• 04F41E39-B8A2-443C-BF82-98DFB6FE5437.jpeg
    04F41E39-B8A2-443C-BF82-98DFB6FE5437.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 3

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have had this specimen for a while. The gold contained is in a large reefy chunk. Corse and jagged. Not flakes.

I put it into vinegar and I was able to etch away a small bit of the host rock exposing more of the gold. It’s very slow going. Anyone know of a slightly faster way to etch away the host rock?
There is a person on here called Red-Coat that can likely help you.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice specimen:occasion14:....IF your doing it for the money Specimens bring more money than the gold weight thats within ,sell it as-is .

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or a couple well placed hits with a hammer will break it up,then pan it all.
004.JPG

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice specimen:occasion14:....IF your doing it for the money Specimens bring more money than the gold weight thats within ,sell it as-is .

No sir, not for the money. It’s got rough reefy gold in there it’s somewhat transparent (hard to see in the picture). I’d just like to expose some of it as I think it would enhance its appearance. It will stay in my mineral collection.

I have gold, this is my only decent specimen. Just hoping to make the gold hang out the side of the stone a bit more for display purposes.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sir, not for the money. It’s got rough reefy gold in there it’s somewhat transparent (hard to see in the picture). I’d just like to expose some of it as I think it would enhance its appearance. It will stay in my mineral collection.

I have gold, this is my only decent specimen. Just hoping to make the gold hang out the side of the stone a bit more for display purposes.
Maybe -very gently- with a fine/small chisel you could separate the gold from the quarts ?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hydroflouric acid only chemical that dissolves quartz and is probably unavailable to the general public. Maybe use a dremel tool with a carbide grinding bit if you can find one.

Good luck.

Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric acid will eat away any quartz BUT BE VGERY CAREFULL with it's use BECAUSE IT WILL CAUSE SEVER BURNS IF NOT HANGLED CAREFULLY! BUT as has been said , specimen gold as stated is more $$ in your pocket ! I would leave it alone!
amen

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hydroflouric acid only chemical that dissolves quartz and is probably unavailable to the general public. Maybe use a dremel tool with a carbide grinding bit if you can find one.

Good luck.
yeah it is available to the public. Usually through the form of things like a glass etching solution or something like that.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the active ingrediant in Whink is hydroflouric ( I called them up on this years ago) but it's diluted down to 2% so it's safer to use. At 2% it will take plenty (months) of time and re-freshing to dissolve quarts but it will...tho slowly.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Vinegar will not affect quartz. Did the vinegar solution produce little bubbles? If it did you have Calcite - not quartz.

If it is Calcite, and you are in a hurry, you just need to move up to glacial acetic acid. Glacial Acetic Acid and a bunch of water is what vinegar is made from. Vinegar is about 5% acetic acid. Glacial acetic is 99%+ pure acetic acid. It works a lot faster than vinegar and it's not very expensive.

Don't start out with pure acid or you could dissolve your matrix. You can always add more acid as you progress but calcite in strong acids can be like an alka seltzer. Go slow for better results. The melted rock look from a rushed job isn't very attractive in my opinion.

Pure acetic acid freezes a little below room temperature. If your bottle is full of crystals just heat it up a few degrees and it will become a liquid again.

As with all acids don't breathe the fumes, always add acid to water - never the other way around, wear gloves and goggles if you don't want ugly scars from little mistakes. Be safe. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use whink and muriatic..that weakens the quartz. then use little picks and a nice deck sgrew to chip off bits of quartz. make sure you neutralze the piece well and rinse well before working with it.
search my threads youll see pieces i have cleaned up.

dont let anyone tell you they are worth more uncleaned. They arent unless they are big mostly gold and have a natural worn appearance.

most micro mounts and crystaline specimins have been etched and chipped at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread