Dissolving Quarts / Calcite

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have had this specimen for a while. The gold contained is in a large reefy chunk. Corse and jagged. Not flakes.

I put it into vinegar and I was able to etch away a small bit of the host rock exposing more of the gold. It’s very slow going. Anyone know of a slightly faster way to etch away the host rock?

Attachments

• 04F41E39-B8A2-443C-BF82-98DFB6FE5437.jpeg
    04F41E39-B8A2-443C-BF82-98DFB6FE5437.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 3
OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use whink and muriatic..that weakens the quartz. then use little picks and a nice deck sgrew to chip off bits of quartz. make sure you neutralze the piece well and rinse well before working with it.
search my threads youll see pieces i have cleaned up.

dont let anyone tell you they are worth more uncleaned. They arent unless they are big mostly gold and have a natural worn appearance.

most micro mounts and crystaline specimins have been etched and chipped at.
i use whink and muriatic..that weakens the quartz. then use little picks and a nice deck sgrew to chip off bits of quartz. make sure you neutralze the piece well and rinse well before working with it.
search my threads youll see pieces i have cleaned up.

dont let anyone tell you they are worth more uncleaned. They arent unless they are big mostly gold and have a natural worn appearance.

most micro mounts and crystaline specimins have been etched and chipped at.

I have noticed quite a few small cracks. Might just soak it in water and toss it in the freezer a few times... that’ll loosen her up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread