🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a new aluminum tank end of 2019 and had filled
never took it out due to health issues -
question - should air still be good or should i empty and re fill ?

Should I empty and refill Spare air tank on a regular basis?
its only for emergencies - if you never have one (emergency that is)
... do they slowly lose their air or does air in them get stale?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
JW 8X/ML X2/VP 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not use.

tanks need to have visual inspections every year and hydro static inspections every 5 years.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
JW 8X/ML X2/VP 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capser... do not "empty" ever.

Always keep a min of 300 lbs + is best.

Also i am not sure "how" you stored them...

Dont store laying down.. dont store directly on concrete... use plastic pads or some other non quick temp changing "buffer" between floor and tank.

Last edited:
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is my older tank (not that old - like 4 yrs) - my new one took its place and i have not used yet
and is like this but 4ft off the floor on a table in my garage

set up as SNUBA- 30ft hose - i have a huge dive flag i attach
I wear a Spare Air bottle on my chest

Last edited:
Reactions: ARC
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment.php

OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not use.

tanks need to have visual inspections every year and hydro static inspections every 5 years.

I have gotten tanks inspected in past - havent "gone under" since Fall of 2019
plan on dropping them off soon to get checked (got 3 now) so I can possibly get under before waters get cold
- just didnt know on the new one if it needed to be discharged and refilled

Reactions: ARC
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking of getting a Nemo or Nomad
I got a bunch of places - old ones - that had piers, platforms, slides and or diving boards in deeper waters
that may be gold mines - just never have the time to go
used to use hookahs but a pain to get from parking lots to water with them and all gear needed
takes 70lbs of weight to keep me on the bottom - not fun walking with that much on 300 yrds to the water

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
JW 8X/ML X2/VP 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten tanks inspected in past - havent "gone under" since Fall of 2019
plan on dropping them off soon to get checked (got 3 now) so I can possibly get under before waters get cold
- just didnt know on the new one if it needed to be discharged and refilled

I would go ahead and get it checked anyway... better to spend a few bucks doing it for the peace of mind.

DigToChina

Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I would go ahead and get it checked anyway... better to spend a few bucks doing it for the peace of mind.

Good perspective! I had bad air once on a charter in Mexico. Not an awesome experience on what should have been a straight forward dive. I learned to dive in tougher conditions (Ontario) but chumming the water through my regulators at depth is not for the faint of heart.

Deesherman

Aug 23, 2018
Palm Bay,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a new aluminum tank end of 2019 and had filled
never took it out due to health issues -
question - should air still be good or should i empty and re fill ?

Should I empty and refill Spare air tank on a regular basis?
its only for emergencies - if you never have one (emergency that is)
... do they slowly lose their air or does air in them get stale?

thanks in advance
You need to do the annual VIP on any tank and that usually includes an air fill

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Im thinking of getting a Nemo or Nomad
I got a bunch of places - old ones - that had piers, platforms, slides and or diving boards in deeper waters
that may be gold mines - just never have the time to go
used to use hookahs but a pain to get from parking lots to water with them and all gear needed
takes 70lbs of weight to keep me on the bottom - not fun walking with that much on 300 yrds to the water
Wow,Casper.70#? Whoooooeee.Those Lead Belts are horrrible,I hate them.I'm about 135# 5'8".and I cannot imagine why it takes me 18# to get on the bottom with my Hookah.,I thought I had it bad!(maybe hollow Bones,like a Pelican?) I saw a Video of that One Guy in the River.He had a 20# Barbell on a Rope to pull himself along.Still gotta' carry the Damned thing to the Waters Edge!

I'm going to try and build a Cart for the Hookah,and Weight Belt.Minimal,with Two Wheels that lift off/out, once you get to Sand.And there would be Sled/Skid Plate for on the Sand. stoneshirt........

tom from mass

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're handy, a good winter project would be to design a raft out of materials that won't rot or rust in the shape of a boat, 5-6ft. in length that would easily float with 2-300 lbs. . The. balloon wheels would be designed to swing up out of the water once they are no longer touching bottom. a PVC frame with nylon netting. A raft light enough for one person to handle. I would think you could put enough scuba gear for two people. Tanks,weight belts,masks,fins and everything else and pull it from the parking lot into the water. Much easier to gear up waist deep in the water rather than in the parking lot for sure. You would anchor it some where. Maybe put a dive flag on it to keep nosy people away.

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
If you're handy, a good winter project would be to design a raft out of materials that won't rot or rust in the shape of a boat, 5-6ft. in length that would easily float with 2-300 lbs. . The. balloon wheels would be designed to swing up out of the water once they are no longer touching bottom. a PVC frame with nylon netting. A raft light enough for one person to handle. I would think you could put enough scuba gear for two people. Tanks,weight belts,masks,fins and everything else and pull it from the parking lot into the water. Much easier to gear up waist deep in the water rather than in the parking lot for sure. You would anchor it some where. Maybe put a dive flag on it to keep nosy people away.
Hi. That's all well and Good Tom,but for me,there's is no "Parking Lot."...I haven't driven in 6 Yrs.Jaja.I live about 4 Blocks from the Beach.Taxis are cheap,but I walk it for my health.Up till now all I was burdened with was my EX-Cal,and my scoop.Now that I have built me a Hookah,I must accessorize, with the everyday Accoutrements.Fins,Mask Snorkel,Weight Belt,Digging Tools,and I got me one of those Nokta Pulse Dives PI.......Dive Flag....Ha.I don't think these Colombians even know what a Dive Flag is.But I will fly the Jolly Roger.!...I lived in Goa India for awhile,and One Time I had just finished doing a Little Snorkeling, and was sunning myself on a Rock..The god's truth...A Family stopped and pointed to the Mask,Fins and Snorkel,and asked "What are these for,Sir."Hard to imagine in these Times to be so isolated,but they have a good life,being not so Worldly.Don't you think.?...stoneshirt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread