Diving wheez?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been diving for several years now. But have always been curious. I have no history of asthma but sometimes after I dive I get wheezy and have a hard time breathing deep. If I breath deep it will make me cough. Lasts few hours sometimes overnight. Just curious if anyone else gets this or knows why.
Hi there FWT, your wheezyness is most likely caused by the extreemly dry air in side your scuba tank. The air is dried to a due point of -53*F or lower, this can erritate the breathing passages. Some people are just more sensitive to the dry air. If you are pumping your oun you may want to have your air tested to ensure that there is now oil residue in your air. You dive shop should be testing their air on a regular basis.
ZDD

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
I get my tanks filled at the local dive shop but they just went out of business so I am gonna try my other shop. Maybe that will be the difference.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to have the new dive shop to do a VIP inspection on your tanks and ask them to have a good look for any residue from oil or filter media. Tell them you have been having issues breathing after dives.
ZDD

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
That's a good idea. They are due for hydro now anyway. Thanks for all your help I would have never suspected that.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Something is causing inflammation of the bronchial passageways. Could be dry air. If you are used to humid air. Have you smoked cigarettes? That is a normal response of lungs that were exposed to smoking, to heavy breathing and dry air. Smoking causes your lungs to secrete fluid, lubricating them to a point, usually this is why smokers have one in the morning, to lube up the dry lungs. If you never smoked, than it just might be heavy breathing of the dry air as was said before. Maybe it is just heavy breathing. If so, try to slow the breathing down.

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
I used to smoke but haven't in 13 years. It doesn't happen every time but does happen a lot. I will try to focus more on my breathing.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
years ago some company made a device that would attach to your moothpice on your reg that would moisturize the air you breathe.Maybe do a search on the net to see if someone has one of these units.After you get your tanks hydroed get them cleaned to use nitrox.There will be no oil residue left as oil and 02 is explosive and not good for your lungs.Plus you get the valve seal and O rings replaced with nitril rings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions