Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have an opportunity to legally dredge this summer so I was thinking about making some upgrades to my old 4". I want to replace my crashbox header with a flare, I feel there will be less churning of the slurry and will be able to operate better in shallow water not having my jet stick down at such a steep angle, I can also see it being less prone to plug ups. Last season I worked this dredge I converted the box to an over under style box, while it seemed to work for the most part retained a greater portion of fines I didn't like not being able to inspect the undercurrent. I was thinking about making a header box with a flare that would work like the old Keene triple but would only have a single side box, I swear I have seen a custom header like this before. Does anyone here have any experience with such a thing? Any suggestions on size of punch plate? I used 3/16" on my over under, I was thinking I would use that again. I'm going to use some ABS sheet and pipe I have laying around.

Last edited:

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any suggestions on size of punch plate? I used 3/16" on my over under,

I'd build it temporary until you fine tune it. Probably won't really know the flow of the side box until it's up and running. And that might dictate what size you want to classify into it. I should have followed my own advice before converting an old 3" keene crashbox into a fine gold catching power sluice. Back and forth to either cut off a weld or drill a bigger hole. And I changed the punch plate size, location, angle and added a couple extras many, many times. Think I have it finally tuned in and the top catches everything now except (like todays cleanout) maybe a dozen fly specks found in the second section. Post some pictures of your build, pls.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope this helps a bit

Attachments

• under with righteous ripped carpet.jpg
    under with righteous ripped carpet.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 580

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see quite a bit this way. that header is a semi flare-crash or adjust and header is flared =keene 4"-John

Attachments

• punchplate ramp up and size classifier up top.jpg
    punchplate ramp up and size classifier up top.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 594
  • securedownloadCAUHR6YDclassifier and depth holder.jpg
    securedownloadCAUHR6YDclassifier and depth holder.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 604
OP
OP
N

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built my over under based on your pictures Hoser John, its fully functional, I am just a fine gold fanatic and a nerd for equipment always looking to make it crazier.

OP
OP
N

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need to go down south to grab the unistrut to build the frame, I am using the yellow pontoons that came with my 4" and some 15 gallon barrels for floatation. Once I have that together I can sort out how best to attach the flare to the header box. I need to run around some other scrap yards the local one has a dismal supply of expanded metal and punchplate. I have some 3/16 punchplate similar to what I used on my over under setup but I am leaning towards 1/4" woven wire mesh or raised expanded as I think it might scrub the slurry a little better than smooth punchplate. I am going to keep the main box set up as an over under to catch stray fines that make it past the side box screen. I figure I will put a couple sizes of expanded metal in the side box. I am thinking about putting sumps on the ends of both boxes with 1/8" screen to pump into another side box with fine expanded and rubber mats.

image1 (7).JPG

image2 (1).JPG

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been wondering how this type of setup would work myself. I have a triple sluice dredge and it’s so bulky. Nice design, just big.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread