Diy source forge melts my 1/2" thick steel crucible

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So .. been a while but i finally went and built the crucible for a smelting.. and GOT IT HOT! lmao It got so hot that it melted the base end cap off the 1/2" thick 4" in diameter 18" long cold rolled steel pipe crucible (with 2.5 lbs of concentrate in it,, yup gold loss 8(...) but ohh well It worked! the Retort coming off of it caught Zinc and Lead before it bit the dust and dropped 5 LBS of steel into the bottom of the Forge.. (ceramic Grate was a great idea no mas mess cleanup was easy)

so 26 gallon air compressor (craigs list 25$), new spool of welding wire 20$, used parts free!, hair drier free (kinda had to buy a new one a couple of months ago for the wife..lmao)
trip to Cochiti Lake for Pumice 30$ (pricless on the trip got some Apache Tears while getting the pumice).

Total cost for the Forge: 75$ yay!

Total Cost for the Crucible: $96.98.... BOO! and yet again the Forge Wins!

so I went and bought a nice Graphite Crucible today for 45$ a 20lb one.. Ill Stop making mine for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqUSnvrvGcY&feature=youtu.be

IMG_20131209_121514_294.jpg IMG_20131209_125853_849.jpg IMG_20131209_125903_278.jpg IMG_20131209_125912_708.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
note to self: Self no Uranium needed.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to say you come up with some woppers, try not to burn down the casa there buddy.
heres my back yard smelter recipe, little smokey bbq, bag o charcoal, crucible, flux,gold or silver, hair dryer ducted into the bottom of bbq.
place loaded crucible in bbq,fill to top with charcoal, light let get hot then turn on blower let run till coals are almost burn out about 30 minutes, this will smelt a 1/4 ounce gold no problem.
GT...........

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lolz.. ya a little overkill but wanted to do about 20 lbs of plat ore ... crucible didnt hold up but the furnace did..lol

the heat gun tapped out at 3000 degrees F and the Pumice held in there only glazing.. i am glad that there wasnt any product in it tho.. i used some concentrate.. only a little loss..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread