What's new

Do aluminum water scoops rust over time?

metalhealth

Full Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
156
Reaction score
81
Golden Thread
0
Location
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I like the looks of RTG scoops. However, I notice on their site the link to the stainless scoops says "stainless scoops that won't rust after time". I like the weight savings aluminum offers but should I expect it to eventually rust after a lot of use in saltwater?
 
Upvote 0
really? have you ever seen aluminum rust? Do your coke cans rust out in the fridge?
 
Hi,
I like the looks of RTG scoops. However, I notice on their site the link to the stainless scoops says "stainless scoops that won't rust after time". I like the weight savings aluminum offers but should I expect it to eventually rust after a lot of use in saltwater?

No, it won't rust. But I would go with the stainless, if you can afford it. You won't notice the weight and it will last a lot longer than the aluminum one.
 
really? have you ever seen aluminum rust? Do your coke cans rust out in the fridge?

You have never dug a rusted out beer can? Pure aluminum will not rust but something with tin content will.
Depends on the purity of the aluminum.
 
Hi, I like the looks of RTG scoops. However, I notice on their site the link to the stainless scoops says "stainless scoops that won't rust after time". I like the weight savings aluminum offers but should I expect it to eventually rust after a lot of use in saltwater?
Aluminum will oxidize in saltwater over time. Same thing as rust but not the same color. Different alloys holdup better than others but not can withstand saltwater.
 
yeah probably should get stainless just for the durability. Perplexing that while youre looking at aluminum scoops, the link at the top to stainless says "stainless scoops that wont rust after time", in my mind implying compared to the aluminum scoops on the current page. would seem more appropriate for it to to say stainless scoops for added durability and strength or something along those lines. It makes it sound like you can expect the aluminum welds to rust or something.
 
Last edited:
I have Beach Brute II by RTG, is aluminum 4 years old and no rust... You can buy aluminum scoop and put a stainless steel lip on it.... I have one on my Beach Brute.
 
But they will wear out and welds will brake after time , go with the ss it will last a life time
 
i BENT MY STAINLESS HUNTING IN ROCKS AND ALSO BROKE A WELD
HAD A BEACH BRUTE - LOVED IT - BUT TORE LIP ON IT - WISH THEY USED JUST A LITTLE THICKER ALUMINUM
MY RTG IS SHOWING ITS WEAR NOW - LIP IS ALL BENT UP AND PUT A DENT IN ITS BOTTOM TRYING TO LIFT SOME BIG ROCKS
 
Yeah, that's why cars completely submerged in salt water often start right up and look fine after a good washing. About six months later every single piece of aluminum on the car mysteriously starts crumbling until it has the consistency of sand. Even aluminum blocks have been known to work fine after a good flushing and mysteriously turn to sand about six months after being submerged in salt water.
Salt water ibasically has the effect of a time delay chemical acid Bath on untreated aluminum.
 
Mine hasn't. But don't let it get exposed to Gallium!
 
dont forget if you hunt for long periods of time sand will eat an aluminum scoop fast. no aluminum scoop ive ever owned has lasted longer than a year
 
i BENT MY STAINLESS HUNTING IN ROCKS AND ALSO BROKE A WELD
HAD A BEACH BRUTE - LOVED IT - BUT TORE LIP ON IT - WISH THEY USED JUST A LITTLE THICKER ALUMINUM
MY RTG IS SHOWING ITS WEAR NOW - LIP IS ALL BENT UP AND PUT A DENT IN ITS BOTTOM TRYING TO LIFT SOME BIG ROCKS
I installed a stainless steel lip with rivets on my Beach Brute II, in 6 years no tears or damage to lip at all.
 
dont forget if you hunt for long periods of time sand will eat an aluminum scoop fast. no aluminum scoop ive ever owned has lasted longer than a year

MY RTG ALUMINUM TRAVEL MODEL IS TILL RUNNING STRONG AFTER 5 YRS - ONE BEFORE THAT I HAD FOR ABOUT 6 TILL GIANT WAVE TOOK IT AWAY
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom