Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2021
Byron, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro
Minelab Pro-Find 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, you can't. We just have to live with it. You're supposed to be able to submit them for fines, etc., however most cannot be traced and end up being lost causes.

For me, I just don't answer anything unless it is in my contact list. If it is important and not in my list, they can leave a message.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be surprised if something similar wasn't available in the States but, over here, you can buy a small “call blocker” device that sits between the phone port and your phone. Calls from frequently dialled numbers and those that you have entered on an approved list are automatically connected. Calls from numbers (including blocks of numbers with a certain prefix) that you have entered on a blocked list are automatically blocked. All other calls are intercepted with a pre-recorded message that requires the caller to identify themselves… in which case you can decide whether or not to pick up.

Some of our network providers offer this service for free without needing to buy a standalone device; but generally you need to have “Caller ID” enabled on your phone line for it to work and some networks charge for this.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can take legal action against the companies
keep track of name, date and time
people make money going after companys responsible
i believe its the fcc that has on its site that compiles the info then goes after them
you can in turn sue the company's involved for monetary compensation
my facts might be a tad off but its a real deal
brady

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This slowed them down for me. the tone heard at the beginning signals the robo call that your line is out of service and will take you off the call list.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, you can't. We just have to live with it. You're supposed to be able to submit them for fines, etc., however most cannot be traced and end up being lost causes.

For me, I just don't answer anything unless it is in my contact list. If it is important and not in my list, they can leave a message.

This!

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Some phones that you can buy have number blocking abilities. You won't get them all, but the major offenders can be stopped by you. Mine is a Panasonic. I have forgotten the number of numbers it can block, but I believe it's around 200 or 250. This is of course for a landline as I'm unsure if cell phones have this ability or not being I don't have one.

Last edited:

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Buy an answering machine that you can hear the person talking and screen your calls.

Spam callers, both human and robo hang up as soon as they hear an answering machine.

Anyone wanting to call you will just talk so you can answer them or leave you a message.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the nuisance calls are from one area code (not your own) you can block entire zip codes on your cell phone.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robocall works on cell phone
land lines are a must in some areas...course city slickers don't understand
cell works when half way down the mountain towards town, about 3 1/2 miles from house

OP
OP
pa plateau hiker

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy an answering machine that you can hear the person talking and screen your calls.

Spam callers, both human and robo hang up as soon as they hear an answering machine.

Anyone wanting to call you will just talk so you can answer them or leave you a message.

We have an answering machine and yes they hang up, but we get the same spam for days, weeks after.Too many times we get back to back spam. One hangs up and another calls just after that.

OP
OP
pa plateau hiker

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Landlines...seriously? They went out with the dinosaur.

I don't have a cell phone and my wife yells at me for out hiking without one. She says, what if I get injured. My reply is, we have a good search and rescue team.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Landlines...seriously? They went out with the dinosaur.

My phone doesn't cost an arm and a leg and i don't have to shell out upwards of $100/mo for service. I'm not so insecure that I need to have a phone everywhere I go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread