Do you believe in miracles?

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier this month, my best friend and hunting partner, passed away. Since he was my son, and had been in bad health for the past six months, I really hadn't been doing much hunting this summer. Hadn't been out since his passing, so thought that maybe a little time to myself would do me some good. Didn't really want to go very far, so went to a park close to the house. I've hunted this area many times, but never found anything really old, with the exception of an old 1892 Indian head penny. Thought that I would go back to an area what I had hunted with my son last summer. We never found anything but a little clad there, so wasn't really thinking I would find much, but at least I would be outside communicating with nature, so to speak. Got to the park, walked back to the area that I wanted to hunt, and started swinging. Went about 20 minutes before I found a penny. Then it got slow again, but I kept going. A penny here, a penny there, and then I found a clad quarter. That made me smile because I thougth that we had found all the big coins. About 8 inches from the quarter, I get a reading at 5 inches, and out pops a 1935 Indian Head Nickel. I was shocked. Another older coin from this location. Eventually, found another penny, but decided to go back and recheck the area near where I found the nickel. About six feet from where I found the nickel, I get this good coin reading at 8 inches. It rang up in the penny / dime range, so I wasn't really expecting much, but after digging it out of the hole, imagine my surprise when out pops a 1876 Sitting Liberty Dime. Besides doing the happy dance, I was talking to my son the whole time, and I know that this was his doing. The dime was also my 2000th coin found this year. The dime is really worn, but as far as I'm concerned, she's one pretty lady. Sorry about the condition of the pictures. Hope all of you had good days out too.

Attachments

• 1935 Indian Head Nickel.jpg
    1935 Indian Head Nickel.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 1876 Sitting Liberty Dime.jpg
    1876 Sitting Liberty Dime.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,084
Upvote 0
OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your kinds words on the loss of my son.  I was lucky to have had two children.  The son, and a daughter.  The daughter has really been a saving grace.  She has given us 4 grandchildren, who have really lightened up our lives.  The youngest boy (14) has his own detector, and we go out quite often.  Each one is different in their own way, and they are now our real joys.  Again, thanks for the kind words and prayers.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe in Angels too....

Nice job & another great memory :icon_sunny:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SusanMN said:
I am so sorry to hear that you lost your son. I do believe that those that have passed remain a presence in our lives and that you son knew how to lift your spirits and let you know that he'll always be your hunting partner.
Thought's and Prayer's Neb.....I'm sure he watched you pull the coin's.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't imagine losing one of my daughters. Very sorry. Nice hunt. Hogge :thumbsup:

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
As I read this, I completely understand.. I had been digging with my Father for the, well.. for the last 18 or 19 years.. but a lot the last 4 or so... after he had a stroke a few years ago.. didn't want him out by himself in case something happened.. he passed just about a year ago.. After a month or so I decided to go back out to the place we had been hunting a lot.. we had been getting some good stuff out of there but we mainly went because we could drive right up to it.. and it was easy walking.. I had spent so many years stopping and looking around to see where he was.. making sure he was OK.. that I was still doing that for a couple months after he passed.. took a while to stop doing that.. we had a lot of the friendly competition going.. who dug more.. or better.. ;-) so.. I'm not sure if he is up there helping me.. or steering me away from the good stuff!!! ;-) I've also been going back to places we had permission for.. but he usually went.. and given his age and the affects of the stroke.. I've dug a few things out of holes I'm pretty sure he started but didn't finish because it was so hard for him to dig.. so I count those relics as "his".. I'm very sorry you lost your son.. but just keep digging knowing he is guiding you to the good stuff!!

MonkeyBoy

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MonkeyBoy said:
As I read this, I completely understand..

Thank you for your understanding. I'm sure that if there had been some people around when I was looking and found those coins, they would have thought that I was just another old foggie who was out talking to himself. But, believe it or not, it is healthful and healing in its' own way. It is just going to take some time. Thank you for the kind words, and God Bless.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Oh my....

Sincerest condolences, sir. :(

And congrats on the nifty dime! I am sure your son would be happy for your finds! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions