What's new

Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good medium-sized safe. I am looking at one of those Sentry combination/key safes that cost around $150.00 at Mao-Mart, but a friend of mine has an antique model that I just can't seem to stop thinking about. It's one of those old "Railroad-type" safes - probably 500 pounds of 5 inch thick steel with metal wheels on the bottom. Combination lock on the front backed up by a steel door locked with a brass-looking "jailhouse" key. It has wooden shelves on the inside as well.

Only problem is the price. He wants $600.00 for it. :o Is that price too high? Should I look around for a better deal? I've checked my local craigslist but haven't found one like this model as yet.
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

600.00 is a great price for one like your friend has. I love those old safes :thumbsup:
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

Felinepeachy said:
600.00 is a great price for one like your friend has. I love those old safes :thumbsup:

The only problem I can see (other than the amount of $$$ I can't afford at the moment) is that is has been painted green a very long time ago. You can see some faint lettering on the front through the paint. It still looks cool to me as green is my favorite color. Maybe I can get him to come off the price a little since it is painted. I would hate to have to sell some of the stuff I was planning on storing in it just so I could afford it.

I really want this thing though. My problem with the newer Sentry model is that it is so lightweight. Even packed full with some sort of precious metal it would be easy to just pick up and walk away with to be drilled into later. This antique model would present no such problem.
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

Liberty gun safe, 850 lbs empty, and it isn't.

Sargent & Greenleaf >? combination lock, fire proof.

Also it's in a basement, had to take the door off the house to get it in.

And nope, not all guns are in the safe. :tongue3: :laughing7:
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

I love this thread!
I'm a locksmith. What's your address?
Why would you respond to this thread?
If you want answers to security questions, just ask!

Scott

PS. Just Imagine that I'm a thief with my knowledge, skills and ability and time on my hands....
Whatcha got that can be fenced quickly?

PSS. I am NOT a Crook or thief or any other type of criminal. The above dialog was a whimsical approach to security issues. Thank You for your appreciation of humor...
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

Scott, that's why not all guns are in the safe. :tongue3: :laughing7:

We know not to worry about you, thanks for the help. :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

NaturalJWL said:
Scott, that's why not all guns are in the safe. :tongue3: :laughing7:

We know not to worry about you, thanks for the help. :icon_thumleft:

Now that's the response that I had hoped for! :coffee2:
Y'all keep your valuables close and yer loved ones closer...

My admiration, :thumbsup:
Scott

PS. Please ask about Security Questions! Let's ALL be safe!
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

Thanks for the video link TT. I seriously doubt those two guys would be able to pry open the green hulking monster I am looking at. This thing is one of those the guy in the video was talking about being handed down from generation to generation.

I don't have any guns, but I do have a 75 pound pit bull in the house. She's nice and she is getting a little old, but she still looks pretty tough.
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

Tee to the rescue again, great video. :icon_thumleft:

Only thing better than teeth, might be one of Tee's buzzers. :help:

Actually that house was broken into a few years ago, nothing taken.

They did leave a machette on one of the beds.

Normally I would have been home at the time, glad I wasn't.

They were caught, and lived.
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

I have a large safe similar to the one in the video. Difference is, mine is bolted to the floor and up against a wall. You can't just push it over like the one in the video where they could put all of their weight on their pry bars. It is also located near a wall on the left so they wouldn't be able to get a very long pry bar between the wall and the safe so there wouldn't be much leverage. Any safe can be broken into by someone with basic safe-cracking knowledge but, by having a safe that can't just be carried off, you eliminate 98% of the potential crooks. (the 98% figure is something I made up to emphasize my point ;D) btw, every now and then you can find old safes available at gsaauctions.gov. It's a federal government auction site operated similar to ebay where they auction off government excess items.
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

My angel or theirs >?

Yes, I could have been back at that time but stayed later.

First day of a new job and stuck around a while.
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

I use to have one of those big old safes, kept a lot of valuables in it at the time, also important papers, some cash, took three grown men to move the darn thing. $500 - $600 sounds about right, I paid in that same price range for mine. Word from the experienced, "you'll want to set in on a concrete foundation" because over time they can, and will, warp weaker flooring. But I wouldn't buy one unless you're talking about substantial valuables, lock boxes at the bank are a far better deal and you don't have to move the bank around every time "the decorator" decides it's time to change the atmosphere. :laughing7:
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

I have just got to step back for a minute and quit thinking about this safe.

1. I don't have a concrete floor

2. I just can't afford it at the moment
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

Hombre, if you feel like taking a ride, there is one on Greensboro, NC craigslist.

Old store safe - $300, listed under general.
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

NaturalJWL said:
Hombre, if you feel like taking a ride, there is one on Greensboro, NC craigslist.

Old store safe - $300, listed under general.

I think that may be the EXACT model I am currently looking at! If not it's pretty darn close. Thanks for the heads up. 50% off + gas money and I may be able to afford this one.

You are THE MAN! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

packerbacker said:
at this site, enter the word "safe" in the blank box next to the "all categories" box and then click on "Search". That will show you the present safes on auction.
http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucindx/

Thanks for the link. I have that site bookmarked now. I did a search for "safe", but all the results came back in either Alaska or California. There may have been one in Texas as well.
 
Re: Do You Have A Safe To Store Your "Treasures"?

Just letting you know there is another source to search when you need something. The items come and go every day on that site.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom