Do you leave a clue?

MLively

Jan 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let's say you get this cache lead. You do the research, you do the leg work, and it pays off and you find the "said" cache.

My question is: Do any of y'all leave a clue for the next TH that comes along looking for it? Like I heard in one post with a gossiping buddy, there was a single coin left in the hole where the treasure was suppose to be.

I don't think I would leave a single coin or nugget unless it was plainly missed. But I have thought about making a very complexed calling card that wouldn't link anything to me.

Proud to be a Texan!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The standard clue to leave behind is a few different size tin cans nestled inside one another. This is the sign for a found cache, not a single coin. This has been used for years by cache hunters/finders. If you leave a single coin in a hole 18" deep few will ever find it, the tin cans will signal deep and let the next person know they were on the right track, just late to the goodies. This is considered a courtesy to future cache seekers.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohh could these be what I found the other day? I found 6 horse shoes all stacked on top of one another starting about 12 inches deep down to about 18 inches.. Can not for the life of me figure why someone would bury 6 horse shoes all on top of one another at the base of a tree in a nook...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The horseshoe use to be the 'found cache' or 'you are to late' notice if all was removed. I still carry a horseshoe in my detector bag to leave, but if it was in a chest and I left the chest and transferred the cache to my backpack that would be good enough. Have I left horseshoes? Yes. Have I found horseshoes? Yes. Frank...
AAhorse play.jpg

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The horseshoe use to be the 'found cache' or 'you are to late' notice if all was removed. I still carry a horseshoe in my detector bag to leave, but if it was in a chest and I left the chest and transferred the cache to my backpack that would be good enough. Have I left horseshoes? Yes. Have I found horseshoes? Yes. Frank...

OK this makes some sense now. It was a perfect spot to me if I was to bury cash on my land, and the signal was so great. Even after the first horseshoe I thought someone placed it on top of their jar of coins for luck.. but after 6 horseshoes the hole was empty.. LOL I was going to go back today, but I am currently wating on FedEx to deliver my new "frame" housing for my GoPro so I can take some video with decent audio.. I am planing on posting a video later wither I find anything good or not.. here is a picture teaser of the site

Old Barn.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The standard clue to leave behind is a few different size tin cans nestled inside one another. This is the sign for a found cache, not a single coin. This has been used for years by cache hunters/finders. If you leave a single coin in a hole 18" deep few will ever find it, the tin cans will signal deep and let the next person know they were on the right track, just late to the goodies. This is considered a courtesy to future cache seekers.
That was a common courtesy we used in the old days. cans with some paper trash & a scrap of cloth would help the next guy know it'd been found in the 60s or 70s.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
While hunting with my brother several years ago, civil war relic hunting, he found an eight inch cannon ball which was a nice find, BUT, the question still rings in my ears why was it sitting on two gate hinges???? the hinges were about 14 inches long stretched out, sitting side by side real neat like. There was a story of a treasure in that area but the cannon ball was only about eight inches deep. The treasure story was about a large treasure and what he found may or may not be a clue. Any comments on this one?:coffee2::coffee2:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
were the hinges modern or, as old or older, than the cannon ball

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread