photogame said:
hello ,
So I was curious about other CRH's searchs. Do you only look for silver, edge huntiing? Look for proofs and NIFC. or are you a nut like me who does all that , plus look for errors. Found a few double dies and no FG. even a nice die clash. just curious. take care and enjoy the hunt
Scott (Mich) said:
I look for anything collectible. Like others here my preference is for silver, NIFC's, proofs, and errors, but I have taken it a step further. I have a hard time letting go of the uncirculated halves. When I see an older clad half that looks like it just came out of a mint wrapper, I keep it. I am trying to get a roll of each date/mint mark and I doubt that it is do-able, but I will try.
Happy Hunting,
Scott (Mich)
I am generally a nut like both of you, except I am a multi-denominational nut. I usually date search everything and make separate piles for the keepers (by type of keeper) as well as a separate pile for each date/mintmark that I look for errors on in that denomination and look for the errors after the primary search is over. I don't look for errors on every coin just the more valuable ones (that I am aware of) and the ones listed in the redbook.
My goal is a roll of each date/mintmark/variety for each denomination. Variety = things like small mintmark/large mintmark or small date/large date basically the intentional varieties that were produced by the mint (error coins do not count). I also would like to get at least 1 of each proof coin, 1 of each NIFC coin, and 1 of each of the error coins I search for. Oh, and since I find so many Canadian coins I am starting a roll collection for those too.
If I need a quick turnaround and don't have time to look for errors, I will edge search dimes and quarters now that I have full date rolls of all the common ones (with the exception of a couple of the newer state quarters from Philly). I always date search pennies, nickels, halves, and dollars.
I decided to fill my rolls with the first coins I find of a particular date/mintmark/variety and then as I find nicer coins replace the beat up ones unless I am keeping all of a particular coin (such as pre-1960 nickels, wheat pennies, or a particularly hard to find variety).
As most of you are probably already aware, I also tend to keep a lot of statistics on what I search, where I search, what I find, etc.

I keep the following lists (all in Excel):
1) Overall US/Canadian collection (tracks how many of each coin I have, how many I need for my books, how many I need for my rolls, as well as gives percent complete, etc.) <--way behind as I haven't integrated any pennies this year as well as some of my other finds. (hoping to catch up around XMas and start the new year fresh.)
2) Tracking list of how many of each I found in 2007 (only for the keepers).
3) Tracking list of which coins I found in 2007 (same format as #2, but max value is 1 so I can easily determine percent complete of a set, etc.)
4) Tracking list of what I found lifetime. (similar to #3, except that not limited to 2007).
5) Trip report (where I went, what I cashed in/bought, and what I found. Most of my personal stats come from this worksheet.
6) Tracking list for this forum in 2007 (results posted in a different thread).
7) Overall Non-Canadian foreign collection (very basic for now as I don't really spend much time on this).
And if that wasn't enough I started dabbling in paper money this year (decided to try to get one of each denom/series/fed reserve district). Mainly concentrating on $1's and $2's as they are easy to afford, but occasionally pull an older bigger bill to keep.