What's new

Do you use Google to find search sites?

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Do you use the Internet to choose good metal detecting spots?

The internet mapping sites have come a long way.
You see aerial views of your town, the zoom in for close-up views.

With Google Earth, you can zoom in then click on photos that people
have posted, so you can see what the area looks like even before you go there.
That makes choosing search areas much more productive.
See photos.

My full article on the subject is at:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/35315246/Internet-Maps-Sites-and-Metal-Detecting
 

Attachments

  • sficonsAA.webp
    sficonsAA.webp
    69.5 KB · Views: 248
  • TrailAA.webp
    TrailAA.webp
    69.2 KB · Views: 245
Google can find anything! Google FIND CHUCK NORRIS
​
 
Frankn said:
Google can find anything! Google FIND CHUCK NORRIS
​
You forgot to say to click the I'm feeling lucky button
 
I use Google Earth all of the time to find sites. I like finding my sites by studying old maps that I find on Google and compare them with Google Earth (overlays, distances, terrain, and research). A nice hint is to go to the clock icon and try a winter based time line. This allows you to see trails better and also the different types of tree growths. Big cherry trees show up on the white side, where a house once stood could be surrounded by lets say pines and the area where the house stood could be small scrub. You can see the outline of the property clearly in some cases. I also will pick as many possibilities in an area that I think has potential and download them into my gps, I then hit these sites looking for the tell tale sign of iron nails. Good hunting, Arty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom