What's new

does anybody have a idea what this is? Thank You

wrinkledcowboy

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN0220.webpDSCN0219.webpDSCN0221.webpDSCN0223.webpDSCN0226.webp This has been handed down for generations and was always called a waumpum pot but I cannot find any info on it. Any help would be welcome. Thank You for your time.
 
Neat pot; is it brass or clay or ? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
To me, "wampum" implies Native American. This is definitely NOT a Native American item. It has etchings of pyramids, the Sphinx, and an Arab guy on it. I'm thinking it is an old(ish) Egyptian folk art tourist item.

If it has been passed down it must have been important to someone in your family at one time. Too bad you don't have the real story. I'd make up something about old Uncle Harry being in the French Foreign Legion. It's more exciting than "wampum pot"... :tongue3:

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Are those quarters under the base? I'm trying to figure out how big it is. I agree with DC Matt. Egyptian style stuff has gone in and out of popularity for the last year 100 years. Looks like a hand made, hammered brass decorative bowl. Items like this often made in Egypt in open air smithing shopa and then sold by street vendors to visitors. It is very nice looking!
 
Upvote 0
I have seen this type of brass work before while I was inKorea. It has the shape of a chamber pot or gathering bowl. The markings don’tlook oriental. This was made from a sheet of brass and hammered into shape thenthe design art work was done by hand and carved and punched into the metal. Themarkings don’t look oriental they may be from the area around Greece thesymbols tell a story maybe of a journey. The half man(with turbine or crown)half horse holding something is Greek mythology, (3)pyramids, the sphinx andmaybe a ship. It’s a nice piece there is more to the art work looks likeanother man with many arms hindu/india? It’s had to date looks like it has beencleaned but the real patina is in the punch and carved areas below the surface.I would guess late 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century to 1930 could be older.
 
Upvote 0
As to native american, nothin we ever used. I don't care for the peyote reference. It's an interesting thing, and if it is old, Barry Fell could have a field day with it. Possibly Micmac, showing ancient Lybian influence.
 
Upvote 0
yes put quarters under to get lite on engravings. it is about 8 inches round in center , 8 inches tall
 
Upvote 0
maybe a pick at a store during ww2 and sent back ?
 
Upvote 0
it has not been cleaned that i know of since grandmother gave it to mother in 74 and i have had it since 92 it is kept in a brown bag in controled gun safe. thanks
 
Upvote 0
grand mother had a elder look at it years ago but elder would not tell her what it meant.thanks for your time
 
Upvote 0
grand mother had a elder look at it but elder would not tell her what it says. Just been called a wampum pot since she had it. I am 4th generation dont know the story but working on it . thanks
 
Upvote 0
it has not been cleaned that i know of since grandmother gave it to mother in 74 and i have had it since 92 it is kept in a brown bag in controled gun safe. thanks

Don't clean or polish it; if you do, it will remove the natural patina that only comes with age. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Looks much like the tourist kitsch we see all over here in Egypt, but better quality. I'd suggest someone picked it up on their Egypt trip back in the day, or from someone who did. Likely vintage as present quality if much poorer. There are examples like this which are very old, but I wouldn't be able to identify an antique.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom