✅ SOLVED Does anybody know what this button backmark dates to?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• DEvans.jpg
    DEvans.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 108

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I found a General Service button marked same as yours, D. Evans Attleboro. Mass. If I remember D. Evans produced buttons from 1845 I think until 1945. Not positive on the 1845, infro. I had for a metal detecting club I've since discarded. Hard to find much on D. Evans, but it's out there. What does the front show?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Icewing, some friendly advice... that website is notoriously inaccurate in the dates it gives for various backmarks. The mis-information there can seriously mislead people who need the correct information. That website even repeatedly miss-spells the name of the Waterbury Button Company as "Waturbury." No offense, but I don't think that website should be recommended to anybody.

A much better ONLINE backmark info source is the Ridgeway Civil War Research Center. It has an extensive section on buttons AND their backmarks. Go to the following URL and click on "Click Details" under each photo.
Catalog of button backmarks

Creskol, I do not recall ever seeing that particular D. Evans backmark, with a "circle of arrowheads" (or hearts?) on dug civil war era buttons. But of course my experience should not be considered proof that it's a post-civil-war backmark. But the Ridgeway Research site says it is post-civil-war. Scroll down through the photos to see your Evans backmark and info.
Button backmarks, D Evans, Attleboro Massachusetts.

Of course, no info-source shows EVERY variation... so along with the Ridgeway website's section on button backmarks, I recommend buying the best book on button backmark time-dating, the inexpensive ($29) "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon. The backmarks-book by Warren Tice is also excellent, but it's out-of-print and therefore is very expensive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Many thanks everybody .. I certainly appreciate your help. Time to mark it solved!

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just out of curiosity Ill try and dig through my container of D. Evans Great Seal buttons to see if I have that unusual circle of arrows.

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to look at the D. Evans I have. I was part wrong, it is not a General Svc. button, I at first thought it was Navy, but instead it is a early Marine Corp button. Back mark reads, D. Evans Button Co. No. Attleboro Mass. This one has no heart/arrow design on it. It is dark with black paint on back, and given where it was found, I suspect WWI era. Date time line for Attleboro, Mass & No.(North) Attleboro, Mass. I currently do not know. CannonballGuy seems to know his stuff though, I to will check out his recommendations.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On your behalf, I checked the list of D. Evans backmarks in the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book on button backmark-dating. It lists only two Evans backmarks with "North" or the abbreviation "No." and says both are from after the civil war era. One which is the same as yours, except for the word "Button" is on a post-civil-war US Navy button.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions