What's new

Does anyone have any crescents?

JC1

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2015
Messages
41
Reaction score
90
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an interesting article on crescents. Too bad you can't read the whole thing. I never knew about them. Probably walked over dozens. I looked through my bucket of flint and maybe I have a couple I picked up for some reason.

https://books.google.com/books?id=N...0CCkQ6AEwAzge#v=onepage&q=great basin&f=false 1.webp
 
Upvote 0
maybe a spoke shave of sorts.
 
What would you think that would be, then?
There's crescent shaped knives and scrapers all over but their not the same as the Crescents from out west . Lunate Crescents and a obsidian Crescent from the Great Basin . These were all found on dry lake bed shore lines . Most if not all are found near water or where water once was . Like dry lake beds .
 

Attachments

  • Jacks Great Basin Case 006.webp
    Jacks Great Basin Case 006.webp
    72.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Jacks Great Basin Case 008.webp
    Jacks Great Basin Case 008.webp
    47.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Great Basin Scrapers - Gravers 013.webp
    Great Basin Scrapers - Gravers 013.webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Great Basin Scrapers - Gravers 016.webp
    Great Basin Scrapers - Gravers 016.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Goose Lake 10 - 19 - 12 011.webp
    Goose Lake 10 - 19 - 12 011.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 104
Here's a winged type from the great basin looks like a bat . I've heard people call them Bat winged Crescents ?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4923.webp
    IMG_4923.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4924.webp
    IMG_4924.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 90
I have read some think they are for water hunting birds on the wing, others say for cutting reeds and such...both ideas would be near water.
 
Has anyone tried to haft up a Crescent on a Dart or arrow shaft and shoot it ? It doesn't look like it would fly to good . The shape makes me think it will wobble / lift / or dive ?
 
I doubt it would fly true or far...but these were utilitarian tools.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom