What's new

Does anyone have any crescents?

JC1

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2015
Messages
41
Reaction score
90
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an interesting article on crescents. Too bad you can't read the whole thing. I never knew about them. Probably walked over dozens. I looked through my bucket of flint and maybe I have a couple I picked up for some reason.

https://books.google.com/books?id=N...0CCkQ6AEwAzge#v=onepage&q=great basin&f=false 1.webp
 
Upvote 0
Discoveries on the Channel Islands a few years ago pushed back the age of crescents. Many theories as to their usage....

BBC News - Island tool finds show early settlers' diversity

California islands give up evidence of early seafaring: Numerous artifacts found at late Pleistocene sites on the Channel Islands -- ScienceDaily

"The technologies involved suggest that these early islanders were not members of the land-based Clovis culture, Erlandson said. No fluted points have been found on the islands. Instead, the points and crescents are similar to artifacts found in the Great Basin and Columbia Plateau areas, including pre-Clovis levels at Paisley Caves in eastern Oregon that are being studied by another UO archaeologist, Dennis Jenkins."

Paleo crescents are very rare finds in the Great Basin. Of the pieces you show, I'm not sure which may be and which may not be. But they will be extremely finely made in general, and hunters out there consider them rare and prized finds from all I've heard and seen.
 
Last edited:
Here is one made from quartz I found.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2083.webp
    100_2083.webp
    119.3 KB · Views: 128
Ive gotten a couple but only the 1 made from quartz. Here is another made from black flint but not as pronounced as the quartz one.
 

Attachments

  • 100_4065.webp
    100_4065.webp
    139 KB · Views: 101
I seem to remember reading? or hearing someone talking about which artifacts really got him pumped- were they the Folsoms? Clovis? And he said 'crescents'.. reason being they were so much more rare than the points associated with that time period. Maybe I was at the Smithsonian... at any rate, he added that his audience at the time was non-plussed. They just didn't get it. I will say from what I've seen myself (in displays), crescents are true things of beauty and craftsmanship. Yakker
 
I seem to remember reading? or hearing someone talking about which artifacts really got him pumped- were they the Folsoms? Clovis? And he said 'crescents'.. reason being they were so much more rare than the points associated with that time period. Maybe I was at the Smithsonian... at any rate, he added that his audience at the time was non-plussed. They just didn't get it. I will say from what I've seen myself (in displays), crescents are true things of beauty and craftsmanship. Yakker

None of mine are crescents by the way. I learned that after I posted this, but I'll sure keep my eye out for them from now on. Thanks for all the posts. Fascinating little things.
 
Likewise, mine is far from a true crescent. I think we will find many crescent, or in the case of mine a kidney bean, shaped tools just because of the ergonomic (sp?) design. The true ones aren't found in Appalachian creeks, at least not mine! Here's another of similar shape: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422930692.907611.webp
 
Here are a few I had pics of. Happy day when you find one.
 

Attachments

  • P1020978.webp
    P1020978.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
Very nice welsbury. I will have to study these some more. Great post.
 
croissant.webp


Ohhhh, you mean crescent.



Sorry, I just had to do it.
 
often associated with water (dry lake beds)....or butter (as in above)
 
Okay, here's a crier that "might of been, could of been"a crescent I found. Probably was crescent shaped, but not the type of crescent being studied in the afore mentioned articles, otherwise this would kind of screw up their hypothesis, since I'm a thousand miles from the Pacific coast. I'm guessing bigger than what they're showing the site pics. That white one with rip teeth is awesome looking! Interesting thread. Thanks
 
If they are from the eastern USA they are probably not true crescents
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom