What's new

does anyone save canadian copper pennies??

whitesid

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Messages
1,794
Reaction score
124
Golden Thread
0
Location
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found this chart on wikipedia. I'm not sure if it is correct. but if it is it looks like we should be saving any Canadian pennies older than 1996. can anyone confirm if this info is correct? or do you already save the Canadian copper pennis?




Years Mass Diameter/Shape Composition [1]
2000–present 2.35 g 19.05 mm, round 94% steel, 1.5% nickel, 4.5% copper plated zinc
1997–1999 2.25 g 19.05 mm, round 98.4% zinc, 1.6% copper plating
1982–1996 2.5 g 19.1 mm, 12-sided 98% copper, 1.75% tin, 0.25% zinc
1980–1981 2.8 g 19.0 mm, round 98% copper, 1.75% tin, 0.25% zinc
1978–1979 3.24 g 19.05 mm, round 98% copper, 1.75% tin, 0.25% zinc
1942–1977 3.24 g 19.05 mm, round 98% copper, 0.5% tin, 1.5% zinc
1920–1941 3.24 g 19.05 mm, round 95.5% copper, 3% tin, 1.5% zinc
1876–1920 5.67 g 25.4 mm, round 95.5% copper, 3% tin, 1.5% zinc
1858–1859 4.54 g 25.4 mm, round 95% copper, 4% tin, 1% zinc
 
Upvote 0
I have been saving them just to save them. I never knew of the copper content but I will for sure save them now. Thanks for the tip!
Pepperpump ;)
 
Only because entries on Wikipedia are editable, by anyone, I'd feel more comfortable with this link; plus it includes all denominations, all metals involved and shows current metal rates:

http://www.coinflation.com/canada/
 
thurmownator said:
Only because entries on Wikipedia are editable, by anyone, I'd feel more comfortable with this link; plus it includes all denominations, all metals involved and shows current metal rates:

http://www.coinflation.com/canada/
yes i know thats why i wasn't sure if it was right. thanks a ton for the site ;D
 
I don't save them. Not enough profit. I keep silver halves and old coins I MD. That takes up enough room for me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom