Does this mean anything. There is a huge rock that has a few carved arches and sits on a ring of rocks. It appears to have been maybe painted

mountain mama

Greenie
Jan 29, 2023
1000004744.jpg
1000004741.jpg

Attachments

• 20240229_132905.jpg
    20240229_132905.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
That's a natural formation. There might be a name for that type of formation but I don't know it because I'm not a geologist.
Where I live there are actual petroglyphs, symbols carved long ago by both native peoples and Spanish settlers, it is believed some of those carvings are maps or descriptions of places but no one is sure. There is no treasure there beyond the ancient history and possibly arrowheads which aught to be left in place because they belong there.
These markings in rock, natural or otherwise almost never point to treasure, if anything they say: Kilroy was here. They are graffiti.
Nature carved the one you photographed, if it has any meaning it's beyond any human conception, look elsewhere.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a natural formation. There might be a name for that type of formation but I don't know it because I'm not a geologist.
Where I live there are actual petroglyphs, symbols carved long ago by both native peoples and Spanish settlers, it is believed some of those carvings are maps or descriptions of places but no one is sure. There is no treasure there beyond the ancient history and possibly arrowheads which aught to be left in place because they belong there.
These markings in rock, natural or otherwise almost never point to treasure, if anything they say: Kilroy was here. They are graffiti.
Nature carved the one you photographed, if it has any meaning it's beyond any human conception, look elsewhere.
Query: Why do say that?
arrowheads which aught to be left in place because they belong there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, natural rock, not man made. Not sure where you say it's painted as I see none.

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
It's a national monument. Petroglyph National Monument to be precise. Archaeological site ya know. I'm sure folks do take them, they've definitely vandalized the place but then I suppose you could call all of it vandalism, the rocks there take carvings beautifully so todays fresh carvings become tomorrows archaeology. I go there to just appreciate the magic of the place, I go treasure hunting at other sites personally.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a national monument. Petroglyph National Monument to be precise. Archaeological site ya know. I'm sure folks do take them, they've definitely vandalized the place but then I suppose you could call all of it vandalism, the rocks there take carvings beautifully so todays fresh carvings become tomorrows archaeology. I go there to just appreciate the magic of the place, I go treasure hunting at other sites personally.
Anyone vandalizing or collecting artifacts from national parks and monuments deserve any fines and hard time given.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the explanation that it's National Monument.
From the original post you left out that important little detail which explains your statement very clearly now.

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Thank you for the explanation that it's National Monument.
From the original post you left out that important little detail which explains your statement very clearly now.
Yeah, there's some places it's neither safe nor appropriate to go hunting and that location is one. The history of the place is deep and ancient, there's carvings on the rocks that may challenge the currently accepted ideas of American history actually but it's quite mysterious. It is closely monitored by rangers so it's best to go, appreciate the history, respect it and leave it there for future folks to admire. We have a TON of other sites around my state to investigate, some are close to home, some are unknown to archeologists and treasure hunters alike that are potentially pretty cool. Those are the places I like looking for and finding the best.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, there's some places it's neither safe nor appropriate to go hunting and that location is one. The history of the place is deep and ancient, there's carvings on the rocks that may challenge the currently accepted ideas of American history actually but it's quite mysterious. It is closely monitored by rangers so it's best to go, appreciate the history, respect it and leave it there for future folks to admire. We have a TON of other sites around my state to investigate, some are close to home, some are unknown to archeologists and treasure hunters alike that are potentially pretty cool. Those are the places I like looking for and finding the best.
Protect areas are there for a reason, for all to enjoy.
It seems that in today's world they list things(pictographs) but not the area/location.
Seems that the taggers have no issue in defacing a drawing that's 100-1000 years old.
It's even against the law to pick a flower/herb in our National Park System.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. In Utah, I've seen many petroglyphs and a few pictographs. A couple 'man being led by his spirit animal' actually appeared to be directional markers to a prehistoric camp. I always had a theory that when you saw a kokopelli petroglyph that meant that a trader would pass through there. Maybe not. Some of them, I think were influenced by somebody who had a lot of free time under the influence of datura. And I still have no explanation for the apparent bigfoot glyph we found by Courthouse Rock north of Moab.

OP
OP
mountain mama

mountain mama

Greenie
Jan 29, 2023
Maybe but there are rock cairns land formations a heart rock area. A bird rock area and a triangle area. Many native artifacts and a door in the mountainside near this rock. Let me take back the painted rock. Say it wasn't painted... fine.
I agree. In Utah, I've seen many petroglyphs and a few pictographs. A couple 'man being led by his spirit animal' actually appeared to be directional markers to a prehistoric camp. I always had a theory that when you saw a kokopelli petroglyph that meant that a trader would pass through there. Maybe not. Some of them, I think were influenced by somebody who had a lot of free time under the influence of datura. And I still have no explanation for the apparent bigfoot glyph we found by Courthouse Rock north of Moab.
I think the area im in has lots of faded petroglyphs and lots of rock formations from mega to handheld ones. There are also land formations as well carvings. I seen a faded one not far from here that appeared to be a soldier and a native woman. Only i think he was saving her from a giant hornet. I have a pic but half the bee is missing. My question is why this rock is carved and sitting on what looks like a campfire ring. My brilliant husband came up with the idea of maybe it was used as a pivot point to move the big rock off. So that part makes sense. The part im scratching my head about is why there in a ravine? It's near the bottom. My thought of what this could be first went to native american but i can't find anything about native american wells. Could have been an ancient shaft. But in a ravine? That doesn't make sense. Treasure stashed? Could make sense. Idk. I had a handheld metal detector with me and tried sticking it in the arches but it didnt go in very far. Im debating moving the big rock but yet idk if i will. I think I'll investigate a little more and go back whenever it decides to quit snowing. See what else i see around it. There was an old dead log in the ground near what appears to be a flat path like maybe a road could have been there. However i don't see any proof of it being a road. Its nicely covered with grass no sign of tracks and there are a lot of out of place big rocks all over it. That could be from a road up above. I think it was an old mining road going right outside my friends property. Rocks that flew out of the mining trucks that tumbled down and onto my friends. I know i have found some awesome rocks just walking around. Too bad i don't know what they all are. Also one of the rock formations out of a boulder is what i call bigfoot. It's got long hair its nose is right on top of the mouth like its connected and the ears are pointy. Its with a cougar and a turtle on the bottom. The turtle is poised neck out mouth open pointing up. I see no feet or tail. He is pointing the opposite way of the door and rock area. It points to an area i call booby trap area. There are symbols that look like coils with a hook and i think i can see a booby trap even. It looks like something is propping the cliff together. I can't tell what it is though. I don't go to that area. I do have some pictures though. I don't usually post much about this stuff. It makes me a bit fearful of people. I don't even care about riches. I just like the expedition. I love learning about all i have learned in my search for the door. That door may be within a mile or two of the rock i found. There are 2 what i think are spanish pits for guarding an old faded trail i was on when trying to find the door from the other direction the day i first seen the door. Id say it was maybe 3 miles to that initial peak where i spotted the door to where this rock in question is. Maybe its just a marker for ley lines or something benign. Im excited to keep searching for answers. It's an enigma....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a cool place to be checking out.

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Yeah, at one point I took a quick primer in petroglyphic "writing" which was interesting but ultimately not very useful. The meanings of symbols in those contexts can be pretty fluid and may not be fixed. It's pretty cool regardless

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread