Jul 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a detector that will detect dollar bills - My stepdad died about a year ago and we we have found quite a bit of cash he had hidden. as you can imagine, it's hard to throw anything away without searching it for cash.To make things worse he was a hoarder.

Thanks for your help!
Rusty

Not unless it is a Silver Certificate .. just kidding. No metal detector will pick up old paper money. Good luck

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on the soil, paper money doesn't last very long. My dad, coming through the Depression, never used a bank. I found cash in a mason jar, and a can with rotten bills. Mom always said there was more?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let’s hope he placed the money in some kind of a chest or container that has metal on it, like the hinges on a box or a metal lid. Even with that if it’s indoors then it could be difficult to find because of all the metal like nails in walls and floors.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ink used in paper money contains iron oxides that are very slightly detectable. Back in the 60s/70s Garrett advertisements for their BFO detectors claimed they would detect paper money, and they would if it was a decent stack. I expect most VLF will ignore paper money unless it has a manual GB set negative.

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a detector that will detect dollar bills - My stepdad died about a year ago and we we have found quite a bit of cash he had hidden. as you can imagine, it's hard to throw anything away without searching it for cash.To make things worse he was a hoarder.

Thanks for your help!
Rusty
yes it is, it is called trained dog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread