Dont be the other guy!!

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't be the other guy!!

I spoke with a friend of mine, who handles Code Enforcement for one of the Cities in Box Elder County. He told me how he had ran into these two guys metal detecting an abandoned old foreclosed house that was for sale.
When he asked if they had written permission to be there, he was told "No" they didn't, then he was told how they hunt foreclosed and abandoned properties because they have no owner.
Stories like this just really make me mad!
Now to add further injury to insult on this matter, these same two guys then tell him how they were just down the street and got permission from a guy to detect the property then had a heyday on coins and tokens metal detecting around this old house foundation.
Only problem here, the old house foundation was not on the property they had permission to hunt, (It belonged to the neighbor who was not home) also the person that gave them permission was an individual renting the house property.
(person's renting or over-seeing property do not have the right to give away articles belonging to someone else, the property owner only has that right, and in some case's the person with real property mineral rights only has the rights to articles found in the ground)
So these two guys metal detected the property (with permission) then detected the neighbors property, (without permission, and no one home) because of the old house foundation. Walked threw and dug on a newly planted lawn bed. Removed and claimed some articles on the old foundation, and then wondered why anyone would complain to local authorities about what they were doing.
So here we go!
All property, foreclosed or not has an owner. If you buy a house, the finance company holds the note on the property until its paid for.
Utah State Codes that could be used against you for detecting without written permission.
76-6-106 Criminal Mischief 76-6-404.5 Wrongful Appropriation 76-6-404 Theft 76-6-407 Theft of lost, Mislaid, or Mistakenly Delivered Property 76-6-206 Criminal Trespass
Work to be the spokes person for the hobby, not the other guy!!

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well you beat me to it Opie. In fact your buddy contacted me about it too. I am waiting for whoever it was to post the tokens that they apparently found. But I am betting that they won't because they know that they were unethical in their practice.

That's another reason I removed all my MD videos from YouTube. Apparently there were some in SLC trying to figure out where I was hunting so that they could go there and hunt. I sure hope they enjoy looking at grass and dirt from now on.

Now I know, and hope, that this does not apply to the majority of you on here. If this stings, or gets under your skin, then so be it.

I have already nabbed one MD'er for criminal trespass in Corinne and I will do it again. If you can't conduct yourself in this hobby ethically, then don't do it at all.

Last edited:

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And we wonder why we are looked at like criminals. I had a similar experience here in Salt Lake, I just dont know who did it. A friend of mine and myself got permission to hunt an old house around the corner from my house. When we got there, there were already dig hoes all over the place and none were filled in. And he did not get permission. Not to mention there is some A-----e out here in SLC that is knocking on doors and telling the property owners not to let anyone else on their property to detect. Unless there are all sorts of waivers signed. The waiver part does not bother me, its the fact that there are such greedy people out there that want to screw the hobby for everyone else but them. Apparently he is a school teacher.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And we wonder why we are looked at like criminals. I had a similar experience here in Salt Lake, I just dont know who did it. A friend of mine and myself got permission to hunt an old house around the corner from my house. When we got there, there were already dig hoes all over the place and none were filled in. And he did not get permission. Not to mention there is some A-----e out here in SLC that is knocking on doors and telling the property owners not to let anyone else on their property to detect. Unless there are all sorts of waivers signed. The waiver part does not bother me, its the fact that there are such greedy people out there that want to screw the hobby for everyone else but them. Apparently he is a school teacher.

Maybe they were kids that don't have any idea what they were doing, but we all know there are some adults who behave like kids. Luckily I got permission from the city I live in to detect on any city property I want. The administrator said if I strike gold I have to share it with him, I was very pleased with his response. There is no way in h*** I will leave any sign of digging, and i wish others including any kids who might read this will do the same.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe they were kids that don't have any idea what they were doing, but we all know there are some adults who behave like kids. Luckily I got permission from the city I live in to detect on any city property I want. The administrator said if I strike gold I have to share it with him, I was very pleased with his response. There is no way in h*** I will leave any sign of digging, and i wish others including any kids who might read this will do the same.

I wish it was kids. The neighbor told us it was an older man. What city do you live in?

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if I were to post what city I detect in there would probably be a rush of some of those other guys we were talking about leaving gopher size holes in the lawn, ruining it for everyone else.

Semper Fi, One Marine to another.
Fox 2/5 1st Mar Div
OORAAAAH

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now if I were to post what city I detect in there would probably be a rush of some of those other guys we were talking about leaving gopher size holes in the lawn, ruining it for everyone else.

Fox 2/5 1st Mar Div
OORAAAAH

Yeah maybe there would be. I know I wouldnt be out there.

A1/10 2 Mar Div myself. Semper Fi!

Fox 2/5. They're pretty famous aren't they?

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They fought during the Battle of Belleau Wood, Soissons, and the Meuse-Argonne campaign and were twice awarded the French Croix de guerre with Palm. To this day, members of the Battalion wear the French Fourragère representing this award.

2/5 is the most highly decorated battalion in the Marine Corps and their motto, "Retreat, Hell!", comes from the French trenches of World War I, when a Marine officer named Lloyd W. Williams was ordered to retreat and replied, "Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"

225px-2_5_battalion_insignia.png All Marines are famous as far as I'm concerned. Sorry Opie for high jacking your original post.

Last edited:

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Fox 2/5 1st Mar Div
OORAAAAH

Well shoot, since we are going there..

MASS-3, 9th MEB, 3rd CEB, 1st LSB....

Then....

H&S and C Co 4th LAR, B Co 4th Tanks, 4th Engr Maint Co, MWSS-471, DPC-East...

Hey fmrUSMC_0844 I will see you Tuesday at 0900 at the prescribed place.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions