Dont come to this bank

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't come to this bank

I had a little time before I went into work this morning so I stopped at a bank my Dad told me he used to buy coins from. I asked the teller if she had any half dollars or any other turned in coins that I could buy. She pulled $10 from her tray, which I could see contained no silver, but I told her I would take it anyway. Before I can even get my wallet out the teller next to her asks me if I'm looking for silver. I replied "I guess so" and Debbie Downer tells me not to come to this bank because they pull all the silver coins. I said that's fine and walked out with my $300.

It's all good though because I stopped at another bank in a not so nice area (they have a county police officer who actually has his own desk when you walk in). I've been trying to go to this bank for a while since they aren't open on Saturdays and I work a Monday through Friday 9 to 5. I got three rolls of half dollars, two are CWR that have the old name of the bank printed on them so I knew they had been sitting for a little while, and the other is rolled in an older looking machine wrapper. The other $270 bought me CWR of nickels and dimes. When I got out to my car I looked through the two CWR of halves and pulled three 40%s. I'll go through the rest this weekend and post pics of what I find.

Upvote 0

AgHawk

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once she asked if you were looking for silver you were dead in the water no matter what your answer was. When asked if I'm looking for silver, I usually respond with.........

"silver?, there hasn't been silver in coins for almost 50 years. I'm just a coin collector."

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a little time before I went into work this morning so I stopped at a bank my Dad told me he used to buy coins from. I asked the teller if she had any half dollars or any other turned in coins that I could buy. She pulled $10 from her tray, which I could see contained no silver, but I told her I would take it anyway. Before I can even get my wallet out the teller next to her asks me if I'm looking for silver. I replied "I guess so" and Debbie Downer tells me not to come to this bank because they pull all the silver coins. I said that's fine and walked out with my $300.

It's all good though because I stopped at another bank in a not so nice area (they have a county police officer who actually has his own desk when you walk in). I've been trying to go to this bank for a while since they aren't open on Saturdays and I work a Monday through Friday 9 to 5. I got three rolls of half dollars, two are CWR that have the old name of the bank printed on them so I knew they had been sitting for a little while, and the other is rolled in an older looking machine wrapper. The other $270 bought me CWR of nickels and dimes. When I got out to my car I looked through the two CWR of halves and pulled three 40%s. I'll go through the rest this weekend and post pics of what I find.

"Debbie Downer" was trying to be nice to you. She knew you were looking for silver, and since at least some of the tellers there search for silver themselves, she likely thought she might save you some time and trouble.

Now with that said, my little stash contains quite a bit of silver from banks whose tellers have told me that they search all the rolls, pull the silver, etc.

ukyfan

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Since I'm a newbie here I am a little confused. What do you mean by coins that were "turned in"? Don't they just put all the coins with the rest that they give to customers?

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I say coins that were turned in, I mean Customer Wrapped Rolls. People turn their coins into the bank to deposit them or get cash for them.

ukyfan

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I gotcha now. I have never even thought of doing that. How often have you gotten silver from doing it?

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been lucky and found some silver halves and silver dimes, but no quarters. I had one roll of halves that had 10 40%s in it. From the three half rolls I picked up today, the two that were wrapped and turned in contained a 66, 67, and 68. I don't go through a lot of volume of customer wrapped rolls, but it has a decent turn out.

You need to watch out for other peoples dumps though. About two weeks ago I went into a local bank and asked if they had any halves. The previous time I got halves from them I received two rolls and each roll had two 40%s. This time though I was told they had $600 worth of halves. I bought $500 worth and they were all customer wrapped. After going through everything I didn't find any silver and didn't go back for the other $100. I probably should have asked about the person who turned them in. I have another bank I go to and buy one box a week of machine wrapped nickels. I always ask if they have any halves as I have received two 40%s from the teller tray in the past. They have a coin counting machine and said everyone pretty much just dumps the coins in there and that one guy brings in about $2000 every month, in one dump. The teller I always work with said she pulled $10 worth of halves for me. I just bought them from her to be nice and because I can use them to fill the rolls I pull silver from when I get boxes, but I knew that the $10 came from another coin roll hunter's dump.

Sorry if this is jumping all over the place, it's really cold in my office and it's a Friday and I'm ready to go look through what I picked up this morning.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Some banks here by will refuse to take silver or old coins with collector value, bank policy. They direct customers to a local coin shop.

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of the $300 in CWR I picked up from the ghetto bank I pulled 3 40% halves, a 1943 P war nickel, and a 1917 S Mercury dime. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been lucky and found some silver halves and silver dimes, but no quarters. I had one roll of halves that had 10 40%s in it. From the three half rolls I picked up today, the two that were wrapped and turned in contained a 66, 67, and 68. I don't go through a lot of volume of customer wrapped rolls, but it has a decent turn out.

You need to watch out for other peoples dumps though. About two weeks ago I went into a local bank and asked if they had any halves. The previous time I got halves from them I received two rolls and each roll had two 40%s. This time though I was told they had $600 worth of halves. I bought $500 worth and they were all customer wrapped. After going through everything I didn't find any silver and didn't go back for the other $100. I probably should have asked about the person who turned them in. I have another bank I go to and buy one box a week of machine wrapped nickels. I always ask if they have any halves as I have received two 40%s from the teller tray in the past. They have a coin counting machine and said everyone pretty much just dumps the coins in there and that one guy brings in about $2000 every month, in one dump. The teller I always work with said she pulled $10 worth of halves for me. I just bought them from her to be nice and because I can use them to fill the rolls I pull silver from when I get boxes, but I knew that the $10 came from another coin roll hunter's dump.

Sorry if this is jumping all over the place, it's really cold in my office and it's a Friday and I'm ready to go look through what I picked up this morning.
Nope, Huck always buy them all. I've found waaaay too many solid silver rolls of halves that way. Example: You buy 50 rolls of "dumps" and 3 solid silver rolls mixed in that granny dumped also.

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Took me a little while but here's what was pulled from the CWRs, plus two boxes of MWRs of nickels.
IMG-20120326-00052.jpg
5 - 40%s
1 - War Nickels
2 - Buffalo Nickels, my girlfriend found the 1935 S
1 - very dirty 1917 S Mercury Dime

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread