What's new

Dont know but gotta say?

timekiller

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
966
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know but gotta say?

This goes with the topic down this form that was moved (Who Knows????).I'm not ready to make the call on it.So was wondering what you all thought.It fits in every aspect ecept mine is only 2inchs.Found in same place as the post (Who Knows????).And the more I look at that stuff from the site the more I see things I have picked up from this place.It is on the river but in a area that a shoal (sand bar) sticks out in the river for a mile or better.I'm starting to rethink my mine some although there are home sites washing out from the banks.I now wonder if a ship wrecked on this shoal.And that may be were the coins (cob piece,and other early coins) are coming from.Here is the site again.This time lot 875.
http://www.sedwickcoins.com/treasureauction4/artifacts_shipwreck.htm
Thanks timekiller!
 

Attachments

  • 000_0213.webp
    000_0213.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 309
  • 000_0214.webp
    000_0214.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 000_0215.webp
    000_0215.webp
    22 KB · Views: 316
  • 000_0216.webp
    000_0216.webp
    19.5 KB · Views: 304
  • 000_0217.webp
    000_0217.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 319
Re: Don't know but gotta say?

What's it made of? Stone?

:dontknow: :icon_scratch:

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know but gotta say?

I Have one I Posted here awhile Back
It appears to be a bit Wider & mine is Black.
But was told Chisel
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know but gotta say?

Really intriguing find timekiller. I found several cylindrical stones over the years while arrowhead hunting, but never one perfectly round like yours. As you say your's is stone, this is probably a long shot and something you've already eliminated, but could the piece possibly be a weatherworn carbon rod to an old dry cell battery? They would be about that size (short broken off piece of one in this scan). The other object I scanned looks a little more like yours. It's something I sifted a few days ago and can't figure out either. Like yours , it is rounded on the end, but the other end has definitely been purposely shaved to a point. It is almost as wide as a carbon post and it makes no mark what ever when pressed hard against paper, as you'd assume graphite would. It seems to have a surface like your object also?
 

Attachments

  • carbon.webp
    carbon.webp
    102.8 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know but gotta say?

Could be a stylus from a slate or soap stone pencil. They were used to write on hard slates (like chalkboard) back in the day. This one is from the 1870's:

Perry__Cos_Everpointed_Slate_Pencil__Sharpener_London_1873_Levin_025.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know but gotta say?

Thanks DCMatt! Could timekiller's be the same sort of deal do you think?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know but gotta say?

johnnyi said:
Thanks DCMatt! Could timekiller's be the same sort of deal do you think?

Could be. It was a very common way of writing. Used well into the 20th C. I found another pic of a slate pencil dug at an 18th C. archy site in Virginia. You can see the "slate pencil" in the top center. It's just a stubby little bit of stone. Beware the pic is kinda big.

http://www.daacs.org/resources/sites/FairfieldQuarter/artifacts.jpg

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know but gotta say?

Maybe graphite? Or battery core.
Newt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know but gotta say?

DCMatt said:
johnnyi said:
Thanks DCMatt! Could timekiller's be the same sort of deal do you think?

Could be. It was a very common way of writing. Used well into the 20th C. I found another pic of a slate pencil dug at an 18th C. archy site in Virginia. You can see the "slate pencil" in the top center. It's just a stubby little bit of stone. Beware the pic is kinda big.

http://www.daacs.org/resources/sites/FairfieldQuarter/artifacts.jpg

DCMatt
I think that is what it is.I'm going to check it off as solved. :thumbsup:
Thanks guys for your help! :notworthy:

Timekiller!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know but gotta say?

No not battery cell or carbon rod.I've picked up enough of them to choke a billy goat! :laughing9:
DC matt is on target.To heavy to be carbon rod,don't mark either.
Thanks for reply there newt. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom